Hi Glen

This may not be quite what you mean by a virtual field trip, but we have developed a virtual training environment, using the Unity game engine, in which to teach basic field skills.  The world is freely available at: www.see.leeds.ac.uk/virtual_worlds/demo/

It is a virtual landscape populated with outcrops, each of which has an associated notebook entry accessed by clicking the outcrop.  This gives information on rock type, bedding reading etc.  The students plot these data on to a field map (downloadable from the website) and use the information to decide where to go next to complete the task at hand.  We use it to teach basic mapping skills such as how to map boundaries and how to plot a bedding reading on to a field slip. We use a slightly different version (with hand specimens etc) for students unable to go in the field due to health/mobility issues.

There are two publications linked off the page.  The first is probably more relevant to you, as the second focuses on how the worlds were made within Unity and we have further refined our workflow since this work was written.

This is our first world, but we are now working on new and improved versions with landscapes that more clearly reflect the underlying geology, with more realistic looking outcrops and with different geology for different levels of students, which we hope will be available in a few months’ time.

We also have a second website with interactive 3D block models of different map outcrop patterns also made using Unity: www.see.leeds.ac.uk/virtual_worlds/minimaps/

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

Regards

Jacqui

Dr Jacqueline Houghton

Lecturer (Teaching and Scholarship)