The 5th Copenhagen Conference on:
Outward Investment from Emerging Economies
Date: 27-28 October 2016
Venue: Copenhagen Business School, Copenhagen, Denmark
This year’s conference welcomes all papers related to the broad conference theme of outward investment from emerging economies. In addition, the conference particularly invites papers related to regional clusters and international linkages.
Multinational companies from emerging economies (EMNCs) have become major players in the globalized world economy and wield growing influence on economic dynamics in developed, emerging, and developing countries alike. Firms and governments in developed countries increasingly need to engage with the array of challenges and opportunities presented by emerging-economy multinationals seeking access to their markets and assets. Important impacts of outward direct investment from emerging economies (OFDI) will also be felt in developing host countries, where investments from emerging economies are becoming more and more significant. No less important will be the effects in the home countries of the outward investing firms themselves. The rise of outward investment from emerging and developing countries requires further scrutiny theoretically, empirically and methodologically.
All papers related to the broad conference theme are welcome. In addition, this year’s conference particularly solicits papers with a focus on regional clusters and international linkages of outward investment from emerging economies. There are significant opportunities for improving our understanding of the processes that drive, for instance, EMNCs location decisions or how EMNCs engage with local environments, and thus to advance theories of the multinational enterprise. Consequently, we invite empirical and theoretical work addressing these complex relationships between various firm, industry and country level drivers and EMNCs behavior.
The emergence of MNCs from emerging economies raises a wide range of challenges for theorists, business strategists, and policymakers alike. This year’s conference promotes ‘regional clusters and international linkages’ as a special but not exclusive theme.
· Which HRM strategies do EMNCs deploy to engage with local labor forces?
· What distinguishes international investment strategies by state-owned and privately owned EMNCs? Is government ownership enabler or liability in internationalization?
· Which are the roles of sovereign wealth funds?
Submission of paper deadline: 15 June
Paper acceptance/rejection: 30 June
Registration & submission of final paper: 30 September
Conference: 27-28 October
Submission & publication
Accepted papers will be uploaded to an electronic proceedings on the conference website.
As part of the conference, post-conference publication opportunities of submitted papers will be explored. We are currently negotiating with the International Journal of Emerging Markets building a special issue around the theme of the conference.
The previous conferences have produced special issues of Journal of International Management, International Journal of Technology Management, European Journal of Management, International Journal of Emerging Markets, International Journal of Technological Learning, Innovation and Development, and Asia Pacific Journal of Management.
The conference fee is EUR250. The fee covers meals, refreshments and conference materials. The concluding dinner is an optional extra.
· Bersant Hobdari, Department of International Economics and Management
· Peter Gammeltoft, Department of International Economics and Management
Confirmed Keynote Speakers
· Alvaro Cuervo-Cazurra, Professor of International Business and Strategy, Robert Morrison Fellow, Northeastern University.
· Grazia Santangelo, Jean Monnet Chair International Business for European Union, University of Catania.
· Ilan Alon, University of Agder and Rollins College.
· Rajneesh Narula, The John H. Dunning Chair of International Business, HenleyBusiness School, University of Reading.
· Ravi Ramamurti, Distinguished Professor of International Business and Strategy Director, Center for Emerging Markets, Northeastern University.
For further information contact:
Department of International Economics and Management
Email: [log in to unmask]
Visit also the conference website: http://sf.cbs.dk/ofdi/conferences/2016_conference