SCIENCE AT THE EDGE, INTERDISCIPLINARY PHYSICS
Fri, 18 Mar 2016, 11:30 am - 12:30 pm
1400 BPS Bldg.

Mark Goulian
Department of Biology and Department of Physics & Astronomy, University of Pennsylvania
 Bacterial Signal Transduction: an E. coli View of the World
Abstract:
All cells sense and respond to physical and chemical cues in their environments. They accomplish this through signal transduction systems-networks of interacting proteins that detect and interpret specific input signals and control appropriate cellular responses. In bacteria, one of the major modes of signal transduction is mediated by a class of circuits that are composed of two components: a sensory protein and a response regulator. These two-component systems have been found in remarkable numbers within individual organisms and across different bacterial species. They play a central role in regulating basic aspects of microbial physiology and mediate responses to diverse environmental signals.  I will describe recent work in which we have explored the organization and properties of these circuits in the particularly well studied and genetically tractable organism Escherichia coli.

Refreshments at 11:15 am.
Shawna Prater / Secretary
Astrophysics Group
Michigan State University
567 Wilson Road, Room 3261
Biomedical Physical Sciences Bldg
East Lansing, MI 48824-2320
Ph: (517) 884-5601 Fax (517) 432-8802
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>