The Michigan Farmers Market Association (MIFMA) received a $60,000 Rural Business Development Grant from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to conduct an economic impact study of Michigan farmers markets. Planning began in November of 2015 and the study will be conducted during the 2016 season. The goal of the project is to identify and recognize the economic contribution farmers markets make to Michigan’s rural communities.

“We know that farmers markets are important economic contributors to our Michigan communities. But how much? This study will allow community and economic developers to better understand how farmers markets contribute to the future economic vitality of Michigan,” explains USDA Rural Development Michigan State Director James Turner.

MIFMA will provide training and technical assistance to measure the impact of seven farmers markets located in six rural communities. The farmers markets selected for the project are located in Boyne City, Marquette, Menominee, Munising, Port Huron and Traverse City.

Click Here to read the entire article!

If you would like to access a searchable archive of the all the previous Mich-Organic listserv postings copy this URL and paste in your browser address field http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html