The Political Ecology of Food
CSUS 855
Fall 2016, Mondays 12:40 to 2:30pm, 306 Natural Resources
3 credits

This interdisciplinary course will apply political ecology (critical political economy, with attention to environmental changes) to specific foods and food systems. We will explore food production, consumption, and the links in between in the United States, as well as in global/international contexts. We will also apply theories and methods from political ecology to our own specific research interests. Issues that will receive particular attention include technologies, scale, development strategies, labor issues, knowledge, standards, and globalization.

Political ecology is an increasingly important approach to the study of human-environment interactions in numerous disciplines, therefore this course is suited for graduate students in social sciences, natural sciences and humanities.

This course is organized as a small seminar with a commitment to developing collaborative learning among all who participate. It is offered in a hybrid in-class/online format, with two hours of meeting time per week.

For more information contact the instructor:
Philip H. Howard, Associate Professor
Department of Community Sustainability
http://www.msu.edu/~howardp