The NorthWest Initiative's Food Systems Project is now accepting applications for the position of Youth Garden-Nutrition Education Coordinator. Please see the position description (attached and below) for details. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Position: Youth Garden-Based Nutrition Education Coordinator
This is a temporary to permanent position( upon a 6 month review; 25-35 hours/week)
Rate of Pay: $13.00/hour
The Youth Garden-Based Nutrition Education Coordinator will coordinate and facilitate school-based nutrition education programs at two Lansing elementary schools. The coordinator will facilitate programs, which include monthly nutrition education classroom visits to students in 20-25 classrooms, a weekly after-school garden and cooking-based nutrition education club with up to 20 students at two schools, and a summer garden and cooking-based nutrition education camp. Candidates must be available between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday and on occasional weekend days.
· Coordinate In-School, After-School, and Summer Garden-Based Nutrition Education programs at two Lansing elementary schools
· Develop, adapt, and implement lessons, activities, and recipes using pre-approved curricula
· Lead groups of students in cooking healthy recipes, participating in taste-testing activities, participating in physical fitness activities and exploring food origins in their classrooms and school yards gardens
· Develop parent engagement strategies and prepare materials for distribution to youth and families
· Assist in the recruitment, training and day to day mentorship of volunteers and interns
· Provide resources and support to teachers and school staff, as requested, to support the development of school environments, which nurture healthier eating habits
· Collect and report on data gathered from program participants
· Other duties and tasks as assigned
· Enthusiastic about learning, teaching and setting a positive example for young people
· Passionate about improving access to and knowledge of healthy foods and lifestyles
· Able to joyfully interact with diverse audiences including children, parents and school personnel
· Must have experience working with elementary aged students (K-6), including classroom management
· Must be organized and proficient in Microsoft Office and various computer programs
· Leadership and coordination experience (strongly preferred)
· Nutrition education, healthy cooking, and/or garden experience (strongly preferred)
· Must have a valid drivers license and reliable vehicle to transport supplies, shop for program and travel between program locations
Submit resumes and cover letters to Rita Jindal. Position to be filled as soon as possible. Please send submission to the email address below with Nutrition Coordinator in the subject line:
Rita Jindal, Program Manager
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, height, weight, marital states, sex, age, handicap, national origin, sexual orientation, or gender preference.