INTERDISCIPLINARY PHYSICS - SCIENCE at the Edge

Pramod Sangi Reddy

Department of Mechanical Engineering
Department of Materials Science
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

Charge and Energy Transport in Nanoscale Junctions

Novel heat dissipation and transport phenomena arise at the nanoscale. In this talk I will describe results from two efforts in our lab aimed at studying: 1) the relationship between the electronic structure and heat dissipation characteristics of atomic and molecular junctions, and 2) novel radiative heat transfer phenomena that arise between objects separated by nanometer sized gaps. In order to study nanoscale heat dissipation, we nanofabricated novel scanning probes that enable direct quantification of heat dissipation in atomic and molecular junctions. I will describe, in detail, how these probes were employed to elucidate asymmetric heat dissipation characteristics of atomic-scale junctions. Next, I will present our recent work where we have systematically studied nanoscale heat radiation via a series of technical advances. Specifically, these advances have enabled detailed radiative heat transfer studies in nanoscale gaps between metal and dielectric surfaces in a variety of geometric configurations (e.g. sphere-plate, tip-plate and plate-plate). I will also discuss how dramatic increases of radiative heat currents-orders of magnitudes larger than those predicted by the Stefan-Boltzmann law-were experimentally realized.  Finally,  I  will  briefly  outline  how  these  advances  can  be  leveraged  for  future investigations of both nanoscale radiative heat transfer and near-field based thermophotovoltaic energy conversion.

Science at the Edge Seminar
11:30 a.m., Room 1400 BPS Bldg., Friday January 22, 2016

Shawna Prater / Secretary
Astrophysics Group
Michigan State University
567 Wilson Road, Room 3261
Biomedical Physical Sciences Bldg
East Lansing, MI 48824-2320
Ph: (517) 884-5601 Fax (517) 432-8802
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>