The Journal of East-West Business (Routledge) is international in scope and treats business issues from comparative, cross-cultural, and cross-national perspectives. The journal currently seeks submissions of qualitative and quantitative papers that cover an enormous gamut of inquiry, including:

*privatization of state enterprises
*management training and development
*foreign direct investment
*entrepreneurship and small business development
*joint ventures and strategic alliances
*transformation to the free-market economy system
*enhancement of distribution
*management of technology transfer and reverse technology transfer
*export/import and trade development
*free trade and industrial growth
*international licensing/franchising
*capital financing and budgeting
*market research in CEE and the CIS
*development of tourism in CEE and the CIS
*other emerging topics of critical concern to countries in emerging- or transition markets

For more information please visit the journal's website at http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/wjeb20/current

Table of contents of current issue:

New Venture Internationalization from an Emergent Market: Unexpected Findings from Russia
Irina Mihailova, Galina Shirokova and Igor Laine
doi: 10.1080/10669868.2015.1067276

Abstract: This article offers new insights on determinants of degree and scope of new venture internationalization from emerging markets. We set our study by development of a theoretical framework and hypothesis integrating entrepreneur-, firm-, industry-, and institutional factors to be tested in the Russian empirical context. The results indicate that institutional factors have the strongest relationship with the degree and scope of internationalization in Russian NVs. However, contrary to our expectations and existing literature, entrepreneur-, firm-, and industry-related factors are not associated with new venture internationalization. These unexpected findings have motivated us to implement the second round of empirical research using qualitative approach. As an outcome, we were able to explain the underlying forces behind the inconsistencies in the survey results and to develop four puzzles that provide a foundation for the theoretical extension of new venture internationalization from emerging markets.

Outward Foreign Direct Investment by Chinese National Oil Companies
Ilan Alon, Guy Chun Kai Leung and Timothy J. Simpson
doi: 10.1080/10669868.2015.1073205

Abstract: Developed countries have become increasingly suspicious about the rapid growth of Chinese investments in their home countries and abroad, commonly citing potential threats to national security and global governance as the main sources of anxieties. As a result, policy measures in some developed markets have been put in place to create additional regulation and oversight, specifically in highly regulated and strategic industries, such as the oil sector. This article refutes a number of popular myths about Chinese investments in the global oil industry, and suggests a more rigorous dialogue with the Chinese authorities relating to their integration into international institutions.

An Investigation into the Formal Institutional Constraints that Restrict Entrepreneurship and SME Growth in Russia
Andrey Yukhanaev, Grahame Fallon, Yevhen Baranchenko and Alexandra Anisimova
doi: 10.1080/10669868.2015.1092190

Abstract: The impact of institutions on the ease of doing business in transition economies has attracted considerable interest in recent years. The literature suggests that institutional quality is crucial in determining levels of entrepreneurship and SME development in such countries. Our research explores the perceptions of Russian SME owners regarding the quality of the institutional environment that they face making use of semi-structured interviews for data gathering purposes. We identify the political, economic and regulatory barriers that restrict entrepreneurship and SME growth in contemporary Russia, together with entrepreneurs' views as to what reforms are needed for greater business growth in future.

EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
Desislava Dikova - Vienna University of Economics and Business, Austria
FOUNDING EDITOR
Erdener Kaynak - Pennsylvania State University at Harrisburg, USA
ASSOCIATE EDITORS
Myroslaw Kyj - Widener University (USA)
Tiiu Paas - Tartu University, Estonia (The Baltic States)
Val Samonis - Royal Roads University, Canada (Central Europe)
BOOK REVIEW EDITOR
Tiia Vassak - Tartu University, Estonia

For assistance:  [log in to unmask]
AIB-L is a moderated list.