All (please excuse cross postings):
We are conducting a short survey on a topic that we believe will be of interest to you and others at your institution.  In today’s competitive academic market it is difficult to get a clear understanding of the norms and incentives used to reward and motivate faculty.  It is also the case that business schools are, in particular, under significant strain due to their revenue generating capacity.  We are particularly interested in trying to understand whether or not these incentives and workload factors impact on the quality of the output of leading business schools.  Hence, the survey we are conducting is aimed at trying to get a picture of the  contracts, incentives and other performance factors that institutions use to incentivize and reward faculty.

Our intention is to produce a benchmarking tool, to be utilized by Deans of Research and other decision makers within a faculty, when allocating resources, but to also identify which incentives are found to work best in promoting academic excellence.  The survey itself is being done in two phases.  Phase one was targeted research deans/directors and has already been done with those individuals in the UK and for institutions listed in the Financial Times top business schools.  Phase two (of which this email is part) is aimed at faculty members in general and those research deans/directors who have been missed by the first wave

We understand that you are extremely busy and, therefore, have tried to make the survey as short as possible and easy to fill out.  The survey should take 10-15 minutes to fill out.  All of the answers, you provide are confidential and will only be released if you give us your permission (which we will request in advance).  No single institution will be identified in any report without their expressed written permission and we will not be allowing the information about any signal institution to be revealed even to others at our own institution (hence no one other than us at Leeds University Business School will have access to information that can identify any signal institution).

As a way to make this fair to all institutions we will provide each institution and participant with a report.  If you are a dean or research dean/director we are also willing to give you a bit more detail on your institution if you request it as we know the value to you in participating will be in being able to identify where your institution stands you will be able to use the information to drive your institutions internal discussions.  If you wish to receive this data please just send an email to  <>[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

AS NOTED, ALL YOUR RESPONSES WILL REMAIN STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL AND ONLY AGGREGATE RESULTS  WILL BE REPORTED IN ANY PUBLISHED DOCUMENT OR INTERNAL PRESENTATION OF THE RESULTS. NEITHER THE RESPONDENT NOR YOUR INSTITUTION WILL BE IDENTIFIED AT ANY STAGE OF THE ANALYSIS, NOR IN ANY PUBLICATION OF RESULTS.

Should you have any questions, or need additional information please contact Hannah Preston or Shona McCulloch at +44 (0)113 343 8754 or [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

To complete the  questionnaire please use the following link: https://leedsubs.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_dnZubEQBE4ZKF1z <https://leedsubs.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_dnZubEQBE4ZKF1z>
Thank you in advance for your valuable time and support, it is greatly appreciated.

ps … please feel free to share this email with your colleagues and senior school administrators.

Timothy M. Devinney
University Leadership Chair and Professor of International Business, Pro Dean of Research & Innovation
Leeds University Business School
Maurice Keyworth Building
University of Leeds | Leeds | LS2 9JT | UK

Global Numbers (these will ring me anywhere and count only as a local call):
For Australia call: +61 2 8006 0048
For UK call: +44 113 328 0555

For assistance:  [log in to unmask]
AIB-L is a moderated list.