ABOUT BLUESTEM FARM
Bluestem Farm is a year-round organic farm located in northern lower Michigan. This growing season, we’re looking for one extraordinary person to join our team. You’d be working sometimes alone, sometimes with a crew of people. Primary duties will involve morning harvests, handling and cleaning vegetables, as well as sowing, transplanting, and weeding.

In a few short years, Bluestem Farm has gone from duct tape and bubble gum to being asked to speak at farming conferences. We’ve got recent experience turning a neglected 80 acres into a growing and successful farm business. We also have significant experience farming on leased land as well as being workers on a non-profit farm: some of the most likely scenarios for new farmers starting out.

Known for its natural beauty and recreational opportunities, our part of northern Michigan is a regional tourist destination. We are situated in the countryside among rolling hills, woods, lakes, and fields, within driving distance of a number of picturesque towns. Great spots for hiking, fishing, biking, boating, and swimming surround us. More at www.bluestemfarm.net and http://bit.ly/BluestemHiringJan2016

SKILLS
• Significant experience in organic vegetable production.
 Consistently strong work ethic and excellent communication skills.
 Very consistent positive attitude.
 Serious intentions to start a farm one day.
 A love of working hard outdoors despite physical demands and all kinds of weather.
 Ease with being around our two small children. We would never ask you to watch them, but they’re often around during working hours.

COMPENSATION
 Pay is $270 a week before taxes. Work week is 45 hours.
 Private furnished on-farm house with kitchen and bath is included.
 Customized farm food plan is negotiable (anything from organic vegetables to pasture-raised proteins)
 Education stipend of $35 per month, to be put toward books or fees for winter farming conferences

To apply, email Mary at [log in to unmask] with a resume and statement of interest.