From: Kim Geiger [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 10:21 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Two slightly related questions

I don't think zip files are going to be a solution, because they are widely blocked from delivery by spam/AV filters.  I know the feds have lagged behind on implementing common security practices, but...

But if you've already worked that out with them, 7-zip has encryption and a compress-and-send feature.

Kim Geiger
WKAR Radio & Television, WKAR.org
East Lansing, Michigan
517-884-4766

>>> "Resotko, John" <[log in to unmask]> 12/14/2015 2:29 PM >>>
Hello all,

I'm looking for advice, and possibly a software recommendation. First, if anyone has some good tech / knowledgebase articles about turning on encryption for part of the filesystem on a Microsoft 2012 server running AD, I'd appreciate any suggestions.  Due to new requirements from several federal agencies, we have to start encrypting some of the data that our legal clinics use.  I've read up on some of the details, so I'm pretty confident about what I need to do on the AD side.  If you have personal experience with this, I'd welcome any advice you might have from when you implemented this feature.

Secondly, again due to new federal mandates, we now have to encrypt all documents sent by email between our clinics and some federal agencies.  I'm looking for an easy to use tool to create password protected .ZIP files, that is more intuitive than the compressed files option in Windows explorer.  I'm training faculty and secretarial staff to do this as part of their regular job duties, so I'd like something with an easy, drag-n-drop interface.  Also, it must use strong encryption, which leaves out some freeware .ZIP utilities.

Any suggestions from the NAG list would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks everyone!

John Resotko
Assistant Director, Systems Administration and Support
Michigan State University College of Law
648 N. Shaw Lane, Room 208 Law Building
East Lansing, MI 48842-1300

phone: 517-432-6836
fax: 517-432-6861