MichiganState University

Science at the Edge

Engineering Seminar

*November 13^th , 2015*

11:30 a.m., Room1400 Biomedical and Physical Sciences Building

Refreshments served at 11:15 a.m.

*Ali Javey*

Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences

University of California, Berkeley**

*/2D Semiconductor Electronics: Advances, Challenges and Opportunities/**/

/**//*

Abstract

Two-dimensional (2-D) semiconductors exhibit excellent device
characteristics, as well as novel optical, electrical, and
optoelectronic characteristics. In this talk, I will present our recent
advancements in defect passivation, contact engineering, surface charge
transfer doping, and heterostructure devices of layered chalcogenides.We
have developed a defect repair/passivation technique that allows for
observation of near-unity quantum yield in monolayer MoS_2 . The work
presents the first demonstration of an optoelectronically perfect
monolayer. Forming Ohmic contacts for both electrons and holes is
necessary in order to exploit the performance limits of enabled devices
while shedding light on the intrinsic properties of a material system.
In this regard, we have developed different strategies, including the
use of surface charge transfer doping at the contacts to thin down the
Schottky barriers, thereby, enabling efficient injection of electrons or
holes.We have been able to show high performance n- and p-FETs with
various 2D materials.Additionally, I will discuss the use of layered
chalcogenides for various heterostructure device applications,
exploiting charge transfer at the van der Waals heterointerfaces. I will
also present progress towards achieving tunnel transistors using layered
semiconductors.

For further information please contact Prof. Richard Lunt, Department of
Chemical Engineering and Materials Science at [log in to unmask]

Persons with disabilities have the right to request and receive
reasonable accommodation. Please call the Department of Chemical
Engineering and Materials Science at 355-5135 at least one day prior to
the seminar; requests received after this date will be met when possible.