Teaching focused position at Univ MT - Western:

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rob Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Fw:tenure-line position at UMW
Date: November 10, 2015 11:35:28 PM EST
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: Rob Thomas <[log in to unmask]>

Julie, can you please pass along this tenure-line position at Montana Western? It is crucial we find an extraordinary educator. This is a rare opportunity for a field-oriented person who wants to be on the block system. Thanks....Rob

Job Title
Position Announcement
Assistant Professor of Environmental Geochemistry
Department: Environmental Sciences
Position: Full time, tenure track Assistant Professor
Starting Date: August, 2016
Description
The Environmental Sciences Department at the University of Montana Western seeks an innovative,
passionate, field-based, geoscience educator/researcher in the area of environmental geochemistry. The
position is a full-time, tenure-track appointment at the assistant-professor level. The successful candidate
will be able to demonstrate the ability to use Montana Western’s unique immersion scheduling model to
engage undergraduate students in field and project learning as a part of her/his teaching and research
agenda. Our immersion-scheduling model, where students take and faculty teach a single class at a time,
is the mission of the campus and an unparalleled opportunity for a talented and creative educator to
merge research with undergraduate learning.

The Environmental Sciences Department consists of an interdisciplinary group of natural scientists
dedicated to working with undergraduate students pursuing careers as natural resource scientists and
managers, wetlands managers, environmental educators and naturalists. Not only do we serve the
campus general education and teacher education programs, we have approximately 100 students
pursuing baccalaureate degrees in Environmental Science and Environmental Interpretation. Our postgraduation
placement is extremely high, which is a primary goal of our program. We also foster a family
atmosphere, which we consider essential to student success and a positive faculty work environment.
Initial teaching responsibilities may include major’s courses in environmental geochemistry, geologic
research and writing, rocks, minerals and resources, and geology of the American west. Introductory
course responsibilities will include introductory chemistry, physical geology, and environmental geology.
Ability to contribute to our environmental interpretation program is preferred. The teaching load is 12
semester credits, which are taught during three of four blocks per semester. The fourth block is for
conducting required professional development activities, including publishing results from class-based
research, writing grants to further undergraduate research and presenting at professional meetings.

Qualifications
The successful candidate will hold a doctorate in the geosciences (ABD considered) with an emphasis in
environmental geochemistry. In addition, the successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to
merge research and project-based learning using an immersion schedule, a demonstrated commitment to
experiential learning and innovative undergraduate education, and a demonstrated ability to design
student projects that benefit and improve society. College-level teaching experience (including
introductory geology and chemistry courses) preferred.

Application
Application materials should include a letter of interest responding to the position description, a
curriculum vitae including the contact information for at least three professional references, and official or
unofficial graduate transcripts. Official transcripts will be required at the time of hire. Inquiries can be
made to Professor Rob Thomas at (406) 683-7615; [log in to unmask]. Review of applications
will begin January 8, 2016 and continue until the position is filled. This position announcement can be
made available in alternative formats upon request.
Send application materials to
Dr. Rob Thomas
Environmental Geochemistry Search
The University of Montana Western
710 S. Atlantic Street
Dillon, MT 59725
The University & Dillon Area
The University of Montana Western, located in Dillon, Montana, is an innovative institution nestled in a
scenic valley in the heart of the Rocky Mountains of southwestern Montana. Student enrollment is
approximately 1,400, and features small class sizes and experiential learning. Montana Western is the
first and only public four-year college in the nation to use an immersion scheduling system in which
students take, and faculty teach, a single class at a time. This approach facilitates and demands that
faculty engage students in experiential types of learning, which has brought the campus national
recognition. For example, The Chronicle of Higher Education and U.S. News and World Report have
recently recognized Montana Western for educational excellence and our faculty have been awarded
numerous Carnegie/CASE Professor of the Year awards, including the first U.S. Professor of the Year
awarded to a Montana professor. Dillon, a community of ~6,000 people, is known for outstanding public
schools, safe environments, recreational opportunities and an excellent quality of life.
The University of Montana Western is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages
applications from qualified women, minorities, veterans and people with disabilities. Qualified candidates
may request veterans‚ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. Reasonable
accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. Finalists for this position
will be subject to a criminal background investigation.