ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES (ETHNOECOLOGY)

Date Posted: September 01, 2015
Region: British Columbia
Institution: University of Victoria
Discipline: Environmental Studies
Apply Until: October 15, 2015

School of Environmental Studies, University of Victoria
Assistant Professor or Associate Professor, Ethnoecology (Tenure-track or tenured), July 1, 2016 start date.

We seek an Assistant or Associate Professor for our distinctive program in ethnoecology, which we define as the study of cultural ecological knowledge of the interactions between human societies and their environments. We are interested in sustaining our strength in ethnobotany, or the study of the relationships between plants and people, but are open to all concentrations within the field. Ethnoecology provides an integrated approach to understanding and appreciating human relationships with their environments, inclusive of lands, waters and the life forms they support. The ecological knowledge systems of Indigenous and other local peoples are increasingly being brought into dynamic dialogue with conservation biology and ecological restoration, and are also intimately connected to political dynamics. Ecological restoration and political ecology are the other two research and teaching streams of our School.

The successful applicant will have leadership experience with demonstrable potential to carry forward the momentum in ethnoecology that has been built by Professor Nancy Turner. We seek an applicant who has a proven track record of rigorous community-engaged research that is responsive to the needs of Indigenous peoples on environmental issues, and an interest in working alongside First Nations communities in British Columbia. The successful candidate will hold a PhD in a relevant discipline, have demonstrated ability to connect ecological and cultural knowledge, a strong track record of interdisciplinary work with faculty and students of diverse interests, evidence of high-quality undergraduate teaching and graduate supervision, and dedication to long-term community-based knowledge and learning. We are open to any area of concentration within the field of ethnoecology. A focus on ethnobotany would be a strong asset as would experience working with BC First Nations and northwestern North American plants and ecosystems.

The School of Environmental Studies, http://web.uvic.ca/enweb/ <http://web.uvic.ca/enweb/> is supported by three overlapping streams of scholarship: ethnoecology, ecological restoration and political ecology. Please visit our website for more details about our program.

The University of Victoria is an equity employer and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, Aboriginal Peoples, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the University.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; in accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Please provide a single PDF which includes a research statement, the names of three referees we may contact, a copy of your CV, and a teaching dossier. You may apply by hard copy, or by email.

We will begin reviewing applications by October 15, 2015.

Please send hard copy, if you prefer, to:

Karena Shaw, Ph.D.,
Director, School of Environmental Studies,
University of Victoria,
PO BOX 1700 STN CSC,
Victoria, British Columbia, V8W 2Y2 Canada.

NOTE: Courier use:
David Turpin Building B243,
3800 Finnerty Road (Ring Road),
Victoria, BC V8P 5C2.

You may also submit your application via email to: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>.
------------------------------------------------------------ [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> - A forum for discussing ecology and the environment in anthropology and related social sciences. For more information, or to unsubscribe, visit our website at http://www.eanth.org <http://www.eanth.org/>_______________________________________________