From: David McFarlane [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2015 2:40 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] Eudora vs. MSU e-mail

Could we entertain a discussion on how to deal with Eudora on campus moving forward?

First, what is the magnitude of the issue?  Do we have any idea how many of our users still use Eudora?

If Eudora is so poor, why do these users stick with it?  How about if our e-mail team met with actual Eudora users to work out a suitable upgrade path for them?

What alternative POP3 or IMAP clients should these users use instead?  Should we allow POP3 or IMAP at all?  Why not make everyone use the web client, and keep all their e-mail in the cloud?  Or why not just decree that henceforth all Windows users may use only the one approved POP3/IMAP client (e.g., Outlook)?

Does Gmail support Eudora?  If so, what about having users forward all MSU e-mail to Gmail, and then use Eudora to grab mail from Gmail?  That might make a very handy solution for those users.

-- dkm