Hi everyone,

Noticing an anomaly here. I’m syncing our domain controller’s time with the us.pool.ntp.org time server. For years, when I got reminders, they would pop up on my phone and computer at the exact same second; but recently, I started to notice discrepancies of a few seconds between the two. When I studied the issue more closely, I realized that the time on my Verizon iPhone and workstation were a few seconds off. To make matters even more confusing, I brought a  user with an AT&T iPhone into the mix. His phone was doing its own thing, the time didn’t agree with either my Verizon iPhone or with my computer. At this point, I was getting quite befuddled. The more devices I looked at, the less certain I became about just exactly what time it was. I placed a call to the NIST time service at 303-499-7111. Long story short, the NIST broadcast coincided perfectly with the time on my computer; but both phones were off by a few seconds, and didn’t even agree with each other. Both phones are set to obtain time automatically from their respective providers. Any idea  what could be going on? I would think the carriers would be pretty diligent about their time servers?

Al Puzzuoli

Information Technologist

Michigan State University,

Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities,  120 Bessey Hall East Lansing, MI  48824-1033

517-884-1915

http://www.rcpd.msu.edu