Matt,

OK, but what exactly is the "cert thing" problem?  The message I get
now is that "Destination Host name does not match host name in
certificate".  Isn't that a bad thing that *all* e-mail clients should
reject??  Seems to me that Eudora is the only one doing the right
thing, any client that silently accepts this misbehavior is welcoming
attacks.  Why should we allow this name mismatch?  Why not just use
properly formed certificates in the first place?  What am I missing???

Thanks,
-- dkm (*not* Diane Waldie!)