 Hi Folks,
As the time is travel planning is underway, I'd like to draw your attention
to a GSA post-conference field trip. Details are below. Let me know if you
have any questions.
Cheers,
Don

426.* The Shale Hills Critical Zone Observatory.*
Thurs., 5 Nov. US$95. (1L, R)
Cosponsors: GSA Geoscience Education Division; National Association of
Geoscience Teachers.
Leaders: Don Duggan-Haas, The Paleontological Research Institution; Susan
L. Brantley; Tim White.
<http://community.geosociety.org/gsa2015/science-careers/fieldtrips#collapse26>

*Trip Description*
The Critical Zone spans from the top of trees to the bottom of groundwater,
where rock meets life. Ten Critical Zone Observatories (CZOs) now exist in
U.S. The Susquehanna-Shale Hills CZO involves an interdisciplinary team
working to (1) advance methods for characterizing regolith, (2) provide a
theoretical basis for predicting the distribution, properties and evolution
of regolith, and (3) study the impacts of regolith on fluid pathways, flow
rates, solute residence times, and response to climate change. The field
trip will explore the site and suite of tools used at the CZO. The trip
will pay special attention to the use of CZOs for K–16 educators in the
environmental and Earth sciences, by sharing and contributing to a Virtual
Fieldwork Experience (VFE). VFEs are multimedia representations of actual
field sites that can serve as proxies and catalysts for fieldwork. The
program will include overviews of CZ Science, and VFEs, using Shale Hills
as a case study for the science and pedagogical approach. Participants will
contribute to the site’s VFE and be able to use it in their teaching. The
VFE is intended to serve as a model for VFEs that participants create,
ideally with substantial student participation. A key component in the CZO
approach is to train a new cadre of CZ scientists who have been exposed to
interdisciplinary collaboration, research and thought–a goal that is being
achieved in part through a collaborative three-year REU/RET program between
Shale Hills and Christina River Basin CZOs through summer 2016.

*Primary leader: *Don Duggan-Haas
Trip co-leader Tim White is a Senior Research Scientist in the Earth and
Environmental Systems Institute and member of the graduate faculty in
Geosciences at The Pennsylvania State University (Penn State). He is a
classically trained field sedimentary geologist with expertise in
stratigraphy, paleopedology, paleoclimatology, paleoceanography, and more
recently, modern soils and landscape evolution. Much of his research has
focused on reconstructions of past episodes of global warmth as analogs for
Earth’s near term future. Tim earned a B.A. in Geology from Washington and
Lee University, and the M.S. in Geology and Ph.D. in Geosciences from The
Pennsylvania State University. He spent two years as a post-doctoral
researcher in Geoscience at the University of Iowa, before receiving a USGS
Mendenhall post-doctoral position in Anchorage. Tim returned to Penn State
in 2004. He is the Coordinator of the Critical Zone Observatories National
Office.

--
<http://bit.ly/MarcellusBook>
Don Duggan-Haas, Ph.D.

*My job is to help Earth & environmental educators kick butt at their jobs.
Here are some links related to how my colleagues and I are doing that:*

   - On virtual fieldwork <http://virtualfieldwork.org>
   - Our book: The Science Beneath the Surface: A Very Short Guide to the
   Marcellus Shale <http://bit.ly/MarcellusBook> and an associated
   presentation  <http://bit.ly/MarcellusGateway>
   - On connecting the field to the classroom
   <http://bit.ly/SkypeNiagaraRising>
   - A seven minute video on our national outreach
   <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkGbDiQznPU>