From: Maria Brummel <[log in to unmask]>Subject: Growing Hope job postings - multiple positions/VISTA rolesDate: August 20, 2015 at 4:36:41 PM EDTTo: undisclosed-recipients:;Greetings!Included, please find job descriptions and application information for several postings Growing Hope is excited to announce! Full job descriptions and application instructions via pdf are also available at our website at http://www.growinghope.net/jobs_internships. Please feel encouraged to share across your networks, and send good folks our way!PAID POSITIONS:Youth & Schools Manager:
Growing Hope is seeking an experienced and dedicated full-time Youth & Schools Manager to oversee all youth programs at Growing Hope. This position will manage and coordinate youth programming that emphasizes gardening, nutrition education and healthy food access, particularly for SNAP-Ed eligible audiences. Our youth programs include after-school clubs and summer camps, a teen internship program, youth centered field trips and volunteerism to Growing Hope sites, farm-to-school efforts, outreach in classrooms and school fairs, school garden training and support, healthy school policy, and other outreach activities. Many of these programs involve working across Growing Hope program teams, and partnering with many organizations, schools, and coalitions. The Youth & Schools Manager will both manage overall programming in this area, as well as, in part, directly conduct programming on the ground. This person will work to empower teens, interns, volunteers, and Youth Assistant to conduct strong and impactful direct programming with youth that moves Growing Hope’s strategic plan forward.
Youth & Schools Assistant:
Growing Hope is seeking a part-time, organized and enthusiastic Youth & Schools Assistant to support implementation of youth programs at Growing Hope. This position will support, along with volunteers, teens, and interns, implementation of youth programming that emphasizes gardening, nutrition education and healthy food access, particularly for SNAP-ED eligible audiences. Our youth programs include after-school clubs and summer camps, a teen internship program, youth centered field trips and volunteerism to Growing Hope sites, farm-to-school efforts, outreach in classrooms and school fairs, school garden training and support, healthy school policy, and other outreach activities. Many of these programs involve working across Growing Hope program teams, and partnering with many organizations, schools, and coalitions.
Retail Garden Assistant:
YpsiPlanti Garden Supply by Growing Hope is a pop-up retail garden center, featuring Growing Hope’s product and service lines, as well as the other basic supplies and tools needed to get growing!
YpsiPlanti is looking for a friendly individual with lots of organic garden knowledge and retail experience, to join the team for a second season at YpsiPlanti Garden Supply in downtown Ypsilanti, Michigan. This is a seasonal and temporary position, and we’re currently hiring for minimal hours in September and October. Further hours during holiday season, and then next spring and summer, are possible.
AMERICORPS SERVICE POSITIONS: November 2015 - November 20161. Grant Writing, Fund Development, and Marketing VISTA (serving with Growing Hope) - This VISTA member will work on building the capacity for grant research and writing for Growing Hope programs, by helping the organization secure support for ongoing programs, new initiatives, and overall organizational support. She or he will also support other food development through securing donations, sponsorships, and crowdfunding, leveraging in-kind contributions, building out our Friends of the Market program, and helping organize fundraising events. Finally, this VISTA member will help with marketing and messaging including print and web writing and publications and social media.
2. Growing Good Food Access VISTA (serving with Growing Hope)- This VISTA member will increase healthy food access for food insecure residents in Ypsilanti, Michigan. VISTA member will support increasing utilization of food assistance at area farmers markets (in Ypsilanti and Washtenaw County) through outreach and education, particularly with Hispanic residents. S/he will help to pilot a mobile farm stand and on-farm U-Pick opportunities, providing fresh local produce to low-income census tracts, and utilizing teens as primary staff. S/he will support the development of a year round farmers market facility. S/he will help build capacity of market vendors and other low-income entrepreneurs through educational opportunities to grow their businesses and connect with markets. Finally, this member will support the piloting of a healthy corner store initiative, increasing healthy and local options in areas where good food is limited, particularly among Latino groceries.
3. Meal Programs VISTA (serving with Food Gatherers) - This VISTA member will work with Food Gatherers (FG), the food bank/rescue program in Washtenaw County. FG is looking for an individual with an interest in improving access to healthy foods. The Meal Programs VISTA is a one year term in support of Food Gatherers’ Community Food Programs work. The VISTA will work on the Community Food Programs team to provide support to our existing meal programs (Community Kitchen and Summer Food Service Program) and identify opportunities in the community to expand, strengthen or create programs in underserved areas. The VISTA will be exposed to working on school based meal programs, residential meal programs and walk-in programming in soup kitchens and emergency shelters. The VISTA will work with community programs and agencies, as well as schools, shelters and residences. Food Gatherers is looking for a candidate who is interested in food access and hunger relief and wants to work with a diverse group of community partners, in a variety of settings.
4. Food Access VISTA (serving with Food Gatherers) - Food Gatherers is looking for an individual with an interest in improving access to healthy foods. The Food Access VISTA at FG is a one year term in support of our Community Food Programs work. The VISTA will work on the Community Food Programs team to provide support to our existing partner programs, such as food pantries, and school-based produce distributions (Healthy School Pantry Program), as well as identify opportunities to expand or strengthen programs in underserved areas. The VISTA will help coordinate select meal programs, grocery distributions, and pantry locations, as well as help train partner program staff and volunteers on Food Gatherers’ policies and best practices. The VISTA will work with community programs and agencies, as well as local schools, shelters and residences. Food Gatherers is looking for a candidate who is interested in food access and hunger relief and wants to work with a diverse group of community partners, in a variety of settings.
5. Growing Healthy Food Access (serving with the Office of Community & Economic Development) - This VISTA will work with the OCED, an agency that supports our local economy by contributing to a quality that attracts and maintains a vibrant populace, to research and explore the development of food- and agriculture-related businesses, job training, and employment opportunities. Additionally, the VISTA will work with key partners to improve healthy food access for low-income people throughout Washtenaw County. Responsibilities will include: data collection and analysis; research on model practices, funding, and federal and state regulations; planning; and coordinating meetings with key stakeholders. Requirements include: a high degree of self-direction; ability to research, synthesize and communicate complex information; and strong interpersonal skills.
6. Growing Healthy Food Access (serving with Hope Clinic) - Hope Clinic is an interdenominational Christian organization, located in Ypsilanti, Michigan, that provides help to those in need through medical and dental clinics and various social services. The Hope Clinic VISTA will work to build capacity of Hope Clinic’s various food pantry programs. Specifically, this VISTA will work to grow and manage the free weekend community meals program held each Saturday and Sunday. The VISTA will create a system for volunteer recruitment, coordination, training and management, and will work to procure opportunities for expanded healthy food options. This position will be a balance of planning, research in best practices, and volunteer management. Skills in communication (email, phone, in person, and social media) and project management will be essential for success in this role. This position requires being onsite most Saturdays and Sundays until early evening, plus two week days in our main offices. Experience with nonprofit food programs is preferred.TO APPLY: Email a resume and 2-page letter to [log in to unmask] describing your interests and qualifications by September 2, 2015 at the latest—applications will be reviewed and selections made on a rolling basis, so it is helpful to get yours completed right away.Electronic applications encouraged; please email (as attachments) to [log in to unmask].Applications will be considered as soon as they come in, and positions will be filled immediately.Maria Brummel, Assistant Director
Growing Hope improves lives and communities through gardening and healthy
food access. Help us connect Ypsilanti with fresh, healthy food by donating