Cliff:

I don't see why anything would need to be installed on the professor's

system here.

The VPN client software needs to be installed on the system he's using

at his remote location in order to establish a secure pathway to the

MSU Campus network, after which remote desktop should work as it did

before.

The installation instructions for the client software are in the

techbase article referred to in the "we've blocked RDP" notice.

Of course, if his system here has additional firewall settings which

were preset to allow connections from a particular remote location,

then they might need to be extended to allow connections from the campus

VPN servers, but that's the only thing I can think of which might need

to be changed on a "destination system" which had worked before.

I do agree, however, that springing this without warning in the absence

of any suddenly-discovered RDP security flaw is unprofessional.

--
                                George

George J Perkins                  http://www.pa.msu.edu/people/perkins/
Biomedical Physical Sciences
567 Wilson Road, Room 1209B       Phone: 517-884-5467
East Lansing, MI  48824             FAX: 517-353-4500