Hello NAG,
I agree.   Doing this sort of action with no advanced notice should not be allowed.   A professor on vacation has lost access to his local computer files and I can not install VPN on it for him while he is away.     Somebody needs to reverse this change and give us at least a month to make the required changes.
Cliff