Dear All,

For a research, I am looking for a list of top management/business journals in 1956-1990, when today¡¯s top management journals were created and yet the majority of outward citations were made to books/monographs/ and non-management journals, etc. Below are the journals that today¡¯s top core management journals were most frequently citing in their first volumes ¨C in other words, the most frequently cited peer-reviewed journal sources. Does anyone know if there were any other journals that were historically considered as core refereed journals in management/business by early management scholars? Since it has to do with experience, I especially hope to invite senior/emeritus scholars¡¯ insights.

p.s., I used a conservative list that includes AMR, AMJ, ASQ, SMJ, JoM, JOPM, MISQ, OS, JIBS as today¡¯s core management journals. The list is based on the common denominator of being ranked at least five times as JCR top 10 management journals in the last ten years, as well as listed in both FT45 and UTD.

Rank based on outward cites in their first volumes

Journal (Consolidated using today¡¯s name)

1

Administrative Science Quarterly

2

Management Science

3

Academy of Management Journal

4

Harvard Business Review

5

American Sociological Review

6

Journal of Applied Psychology

7

Academy of Management Review

8

Human Relations

9

Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes

10

American Journal of Sociology

11

Journal of Applied Behavioral Science

12

Psychological Bulletin

13

Journal of Personality and Social Psychology

14

California Management Review

15

Operations Research

16

Public Administration Review

17

Journal of Business

18

Journal of Management Studies

19

Journal of Abnormal Psychology

20

Business Horizon

21

Personnel Psychology

22

Decision Sciences

23

American Political Science Review

24

Organizational Dynamics

25

Journal of World Business

26

Psychological Review

27

Industrial Relations

28

Sociometry

29

MIT Sloan Management Review

30

Accounting Review

31

Behavioral Science

32

Omega-International Journal of Management Science

33

Science

34

Human Resource Management

35

Journal of Management

36

Journal of Political Economy

37

Journal of Economic Literature

38

Journal of Marketing Research

39

Sociology

40

Annual Review of Psychology

*All journals above were cited at least twice by more than one mgmt. journals in today¡¯s list.

Thanks.

Victor

VICTOR ZITIAN CHEN, Ph.D.

T: +1 (980) 636-9207| E: [log in to unmask] | W: http://www.chenzitian.com/

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Assistant Professor of International Management

UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA, CHARLOTTE | The Belk College of Business | 9201 University City Blvd, Charlotte, NC 28223-0001 | http://belkcollege.uncc.edu/

Fellow, Global Coordinator and Editor, Emerging Market Global Players (EMGP) Project

COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY | Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment* | Columbia Law School - The Earth Institute | 435 West 116th Street, New York, NY 10027 | http://ccsi.columbia.edu/

* formerly known as Vale Columbia Center on Sustainable Internatonal Investment

Co-founder and Associate Editor

TRANSNATIONAL CORPORATIONS REVIEW | ¡¶¿ç¹ú¹«Ë¾ÆÀÂÛ¡·