Interdisciplinary Physics

Science at the Edge Seminar Series

Friday 11:30 a.m. with refreshments served at 11:15 a.m.

1400 Biomedical and Physical Sciences Building

Title: To what extent can networks be controlled? And what for?

Speaker: Adilson E. Motter, Department of Physics and Astronomy- Northwestern University

Abstract: Numerous systems are now modeled as complex networks of coupled

dynamical entities.  Nonlinearity and high-dimensionality are hallmarks of

the dynamics of complex networks but have generally been regarded as

obstacles to control. In this talk, I will discuss recent approaches to

control nonlinear network dynamics that are effective in large networks

and even in the presence of constraints, noise, and uncertainty. I will

also discuss applications to physical, biomedical, and ecological problems,

including transient stability, drug target identification, cascade control,

and network repurposing.

http://www.pa.msu.edu/seminars/edge/current

Interdisciplinary Physics Seminars:

Carlo Piermarocchi, Physics & Astronomy

Shawna Prater / Secretary

Astrophysics Group

Michigan State University

567 Wilson Road, Room 3261

Biomedical Physical Sciences Bldg

East Lansing, MI 48824-2320

Ph: (517) 884-5601 Fax (517) 432-8802

[log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

This e-mail may contain confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it immediately.