Thanks to everyone for the quick responses. One could wish the Symantec site did better validation on the phone number format, but I guess that's out of our control. Ah well,
--Al

-----Original Message-----
From: David McFarlane [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 4:51 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Not Receiving SMS Messages Registering for Two-Factor?

SecureIT does indeed document the need for the
leading "1"
(https://secureit.msu.edu/two-factor/help.html
).  They also document the need for leaving out
dashes.  But that does not go far enough.  You
may also not enter anything besides
numerals/digits.  The instructions really should
read, "Phone numbers must begin with the country
code (1) and must use only digits (no dashes,
parentheses, spaces, etc.).  E.g., 15555555555."

-- dkm