From: "Anderson, Steven" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: New “Journal of Astronomy & Earth Sciences Education” Invites Manuscripts
Date: March 19, 2015 3:20:52 AM EDT
To: Julie Libarkin <[log in to unmask]>

Hey Julie, I will respond to your email in a follow up. Can you please place this on the listserve?  I want my 2 cents in on this.

I am already more than irritated at many of our mainstream scientific journal publishers who profiteer on the backs of overworked scientists in academia, national labs, and the public sector by enlisting us as editors (mostly unpaid) then reviewers (almost always unpaid) and then jacking us for page charges (which our underfunded universities and granting agencies pony up) and then charging us or our libraries exorbitant subscription rates just so that we read the papers that we did all the work on. Apparently these publishers think we are idiots to keep going along with this system.  Unfortunately we, as a discipline, really are because we just keep doing it. So let's stop this nonsense now. I find the whole industry quite disgusting, and hope we can continue going towards online publishing with no page charges, no library fees, and no profiteering. For places like the Clute Institute to take it a step further and charge us yet another time, and then not even provide something as simple as a DOI, is not acceptable to me. I won't be using them, and will actively suggest to others to avoid them.