A follow up to Larry's post about publishing in society journals. I agree with him on most of his points, but will point out that you have to be careful with that as well. The journal associated with my science discipline society is actually farmed out to one of the major scientific publishing houses, who charge ridiculous rates for my library to house. I hope as time goes on we find new publishing avenues that value the reviewers' and editors' time, and the institutions and granting agencies that allow us to do this work. To charge a university a huge amount of money to have access to a journal with articles that the university, in essence, paid to review (by paying our salary as we do this work), is a system that does not deserve my support.

From: Davis, R Laurence [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2015 8:40 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: New ³Journal of Astronomy & Earth Sciences Education² Invites Manuscripts

Thanks all for this interesting and important discussion. My two cents is publish in society journals. They meet all the "rules", they are, in a sense, owned by us, they keep their costs as low as possible, and they exist to further science, not to put money in the pockets of shareholders. As GSA and other scientific societies struggle with how to combine this mission with the new publishing realities, there may also be opportunities for new, more specialized versions of the classic journals that may target narrower audiences and complete with some of the for profit journals. Look at how many Journal of Geophysical Research sections there are.

Larry Davis
R. Laurence Davis, Ph.D.
Professor of Earth and Environmental Sciences and
Coordinator Undergraduate Program in Environmental Sciences
Department of Biology and Environmental Sciences
University of New Haven
300 Boston Post Road
West Haven, Connecticut 06516
Office: 203-932-7108    Fax: 203-931-6097