Note that those interested in living in Michigan are encouraged to apply!

Real Food Challenge /
Third Sector New England Job Description

Position Title: Regional Coordinator/Organizer

Positions Status: ----

FLSA Classification Non-exempt

Reports To: Campaign Director

Supervisory responsibilities: 0-5 Field Organizing Fellows

Organizational Description
A fiscally sponsored program of Third Sector New England (TSNE), Real Food Generation leverages the power of youth to create a healthy, fair and green food system. Our primary campaign is the Real Food Challenge, which aims to shift $1 billion of existing university food budgets away from industrial agriculture and junk food and towards local/community-based, fair, ecologically sound and humane food sources—what we call “real food”—by 2020. As the country’s largest network of student food activists, the Real Food Challenge provides opportunities for mutual inspiration, learning and leadership development for thousands of young people.

To date, we have secured real food purchasing commitments worth over $60 million, and we expect as many as 15 schools to adopt our new Real Food Campus Commitment by the end of the 2015 fiscal year.

Job Overview
We’re looking for dynamic organizers to help build a powerful youth movement for food justice.  Our campaign is growing fast and needs your shining heart, brilliant mind, and hard work!

Over the course of the coming year, we anticipate hiring 2-3 new staff organizers who will play a critical role by organizing campus campaigns – the mainstay of the Real Food Challenge. They also lead strategic planning for our efforts in their region, support our growing process of implementation of Real Food Campus Commitments, manage administrative work, and assist with other national programs.

Key Job Elements

  • Primary Responsibilities: Organize and support students to run campaigns that increase the portion of food dollars invested by institutions of higher education in the real food economy, particularly the campaign for the Real Food Campus Commitment.
    • Organize with student groups to build their base, create strategic plans for their campaigns and take action.
    • Train and support students on managing relationships with campus decision-makers and food system stakeholders
    • Increase RFC’s capacity to spread and implement Real Food Commitments by building partnerships with farmers, distributors, corporations and labor unions.
    • Maintain relationships with staff, faculty and administrators at campuses that are working on real food campaigns or that are implementing the Real Food Campus Commitment or running the Real Food Calculator
    • Plan, coordinate, and lead regional trainings, road trips, and campus visits.

  • Other Potential Responsibilities
    • Supervise Regional Field Organizing Fellows for the region
    • Manage the budget for the region
    • Assist with fundraising
    • Assist with national operations and programs (e.g. communications, the Real Food Calculator, the national summit)

Qualifications

Values and skills:
  • A commitment to economic justice, anti-racism, student power and contributing to the real food movement as well as to developing the leadership of others
  • Strong self-motivation, a “hunger” for campaign success and an eagerness to be challenged
  • Strong public speaking and group facilitation skills
  • Excellent ability to build strong working relationships
  • Comfort working remotely and managing priorities independently, in an evolving, fast-paced, and multi-tasking environment
  • Ability to use or adapt to web-based technology, e.g. Google Drive, Dropbox
  • A desire to laugh, play games, and self-reflect with colleagues
  • Able and willing to work nights and weekends, and to travel frequently
  • Preferred: Driver’s license and access to a car

Experience and knowledge:
  • Experience with community organizing, planning campaign strategy, facilitating discussions and curriculum with diverse groups, and creating inclusive communities
  • In-depth understanding of college and university power structures and decision-making processes; on-campus student activism and student group dynamics; experience working with college-based student activists
  • A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
  • Preferred: Knowledge of supply chains in the food industry, including how and where to procure local foods and food products; food distribution
  • Preferred: Experience supervising others

To Apply:

Please send a resume and cover letter.

Applications are due Sunday, April 12.

Those in Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont, Maryland, D.C., North Carolina, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Colorado, Washington and California are particularly encouraged to apply. Please mention in your cover letter where you plan to be living.

We strongly encourage online applications. To apply, email [log in to unmask]. Please include the abbreviations of the states for which you are applying in the subject line or body of your email. (e.g. “ME, MA, VT, MN, MI”)

We also accept applications by mail or fax. Send to: Third Sector New England; NonProfit Center, 7th floor; Attn: HR –  89 South Street; Boston, MA 02111 or Fax: 617.523.2070.

Third Sector New England/ Real Food Generation is an equal opportunity provider, and employer. Applicants who identify as working class, people of color, women, LGBTQ, genderqueer, and differently-abled are strongly encouraged to apply.