Here is part 2 for Michigan Organic listserv
2/11/15

Flint Food Works
Food Entrepreneur Workshops

Our Food Entrepreneur Workshops are specifically geared to anyone who
wants to learn more about how to start and grow a food based business in our area. You will learn business basics like accounting, marketing, advertising and keeping track of your bottom line. Our goal is to establish a good foundation of knowledge for any up and coming entrepreneur. Learning to start your food based business
right here in the Flint Farmers' Market and the Flint Food Works Kitchens.

Workshop #1

Food Entrepreneur Workshop- Gears in Motion: Food Works Start-up  Thursday February 26th  6-8pm The Flint Farmers’ Market Community Room

Cost $5
Facilitators Sean Gartland of Flint Food Works
In this workshop we will cover the broad strokes of starting a food business. From developing a viable concept to navigating the licensing and certification process. This event will give you a basic introduction to working in the Flint Food Works Incubator program as well as an overview of starting your business in a shared commercial kitchen facility. Who should attend? Anyone who is currently in the process of developing a food based business.
To register and learn about the other workshops visit:
http://www.flintfoodworks.net/
Grant Opportunities

USDA Announces Over $9 Million to Support Socially Disadvantaged Farmers and Ranchers and Veteran Farmers and Ranchers

Grants Will Help Diversify American Agriculture

Albany, GA, February 6, 2015 – Today, Deputy Secretary Krysta Harden announced over $9 million in grant funds will soon be available for outreach and technical assistance to minority and veteran farmers and ranchers. This funding will enable community-based organizations, eligible higher education institutions and tribal organizations to work directly with these groups to successfully acquire, own and operate farms and ranches and to access all USDA programs and services. These funds are being provided through the Outreach and Assistance for Socially Disadvantaged Farmers and Ranchers and Veteran Farmers and Ranchers Program, also known as the "2501 Program".
Through the 2501 Program, outreach and technical assistance is provided to minority and veteran farmers and ranchers through partnering organizations, including 1890 Land Grant Institutions, 1994 Land Grant Institutions, other American Indian Tribal community colleges and Alaska Native cooperative colleges, Hispanic-serving and other institutions of higher education, Tribal governments and organizations, and community-based organizations.
"To stay competitive, America's farmers and ranchers must be diverse in experience, background and skills. Every farmer and rancher has something to contribute to America's agriculture. Community partnerships can help farmers and ranchers reach their full potential," said Deputy Secretary Krysta Harden. "As we celebrate the first anniversary of the 2014 Farm Bill, programs like these are evidence that an investment in all of America's farmers and ranchers is an investment in our future."
Applications for the 2501 program must be submitted through www.grants.gov<http://links.govdelivery.com/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTUwMjA2LjQxMjYwMDkxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE1MDIwNi40MTI2MDA5MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3MjM3MDYyJmVtYWlsaWQ9c29ycm9uZUBtc3UuZWR1JnVzZXJpZD1zb3Jyb25lQG1zdS5lZHUmZmw9JmV4dHJhPU11bHRpdmFyaWF0ZUlkPSYmJg==&&&101&&&http://www.grants.gov/>. More information about the 2501 Program, including forthcoming grant notice and application deadlines is available at: http://www.outreach.usda.gov/grants/index.htm<http://links.govdelivery.com/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTUwMjA2LjQxMjYwMDkxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE1MDIwNi40MTI2MDA5MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3MjM3MDYyJmVtYWlsaWQ9c29ycm9uZUBtc3UuZWR1JnVzZXJpZD1zb3Jyb25lQG1zdS5lZHUmZmw9JmV4dHJhPU11bHRpdmFyaWF0ZUlkPSYmJg==&&&102&&&http://www.outreach.usda.gov/grants/index.htm>.
The Deputy Secretary also announced the formation of a Socially Disadvantaged Farmers and Ranchers Policy Research Center dedicated to collecting and analyzing data, developing policy recommendations, and evaluating policy concerning socially disadvantaged farmers and ranchers including minorities, veterans, and Native Americans. This one-time competitive program is open to any eligible 1890 Land-Grant Institution interested in hosting the Center.
The Deputy Secretary made today's announcement at the Federation of Southern Cooperatives, which was awarded a 2501 Grant last year to conduct training, outreach, and technical assistance to minority and veteran farmers and ranchers.
Since 2010, the 2501 Program has distributed more than $66 million to 250 partners. The program is administered by the USDA's Office of Advocacy and Outreach. The 2014 Farm Bill reauthorized the program and expanded assistance to include military veterans.
The 2014 Farm Bill builds on historic economic gains in rural America over the past five years, while achieving meaningful reform and billions of dollars in savings for taxpayers. Since enactment, USDA has made significant progress to implement each provision of this critical legislation, including providing disaster relief to farmers and ranchers; strengthening risk management tools; expanding access to rural credit; funding critical research; establishing innovative public-private conservation partnerships; developing new markets for rural-made products; and investing in infrastructure, housing and community facilities to help improve quality of life in rural America. For more information, visit www.usda.gov/farmbill<http://links.govdelivery.com/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTUwMjA2LjQxMjYwMDkxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE1MDIwNi40MTI2MDA5MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3MjM3MDYyJmVtYWlsaWQ9c29ycm9uZUBtc3UuZWR1JnVzZXJpZD1zb3Jyb25lQG1zdS5lZHUmZmw9JmV4dHJhPU11bHRpdmFyaWF0ZUlkPSYmJg==&&&103&&&http://www.usda.gov/farmbill>.

NCR-SARE 2015 Professional Development Program
02/04/2015 11:06 am Marie Flanagan

The 2015 NCR-SARE Professional Development Program Call for Proposals is now available online.

NCR-SARE’s Professional Development Program (PDP) provides funds for professional development projects that provide sustainable agriculture training to agricultural professionals and educators in the Cooperative Extension Service (CES), Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), other governmental agencies, and educators in the profit and non-profit sector serving the food and fiber system.

Projects can be up to three years in duration, and funding level is capped at $75,000 total for each project, but projects requesting less than full amount are encouraged. Approximately $675,000 will be available for funding projects this year.

A special aspect of the 2015 NCR-SARE PDP call for proposals is that up to $450,000 of the total pool of funds is available for projects focused on cover crops and soil health. More details can be found in the call for proposals. Proposals on other topics relevant to sustainable agriculture will also be considered for funding.

The deadline for proposals is 4:00 pm CDT on Thursday, April 2, 2015.

Any questions regarding the NCR-SARE Professional Development Grant Program should be addressed to PDP Regional Coordinator, Dr. Rob Myers.

Rob Myers, Ph.D.
Regional Coordinator (Chapter 3) and Director of Professional Development (Extension) Programs
University of Missouri
238 Ag Engineering Bldg.
Columbia, MO 65211
Office phone: 573-882-1547
Fax: 573-884-5650
Email: [log in to unmask]

Job Opportunities

I am sure that many of you have heard about the soon-to-be-launched Michigan Good Food Fund –

Below please find the position description for a part-time administrator position for the Michigan Good Food Fund. The MSU Center for Regional Food Systems and Fair Food Network are coordinating this position and this search, with support from the W.K.
Kellogg Foundation.  Closing date for applications is February 27, 2015.  We hope to have the successful candidate start in the position by Mid-March, 2015.

http://foodsystems.msu.edu/news/mgff_administrator_posting

Rich Pirog, Senior Associate Director

Veritas Farms
 A beautiful, Certified Naturally Grown farm in New Paltz, NY is seeking a vegetable grower for the 2015 season.  We grow on 5 acres for CSAs
and a farmers market, as well as some wholesale.

We are seeking someone who will be responsible for all aspects of vegetable production, including managing interns and part-time employees.  We will provide materials from past years to get you started. Minimum 3 years experience working with mixed vegetables is requested.

Housing is available, please inquire about salary. Please send an email with resume and a brief letter to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Lome Farm
Summer 2015 farm position

Loma Farm is 8 miles north of Traverse City on the Leelanau Peninsula.  We are a small vegetable farm with a focus on high quality produce for restaurants, farmer’s markets and CSA.

We are looking for a seasonal full-time employee for the summer of 2015.  The position will begin in May and end in November. The work will consist of general farm work including planting, weeding, harvesting, and marketing.

We farm for the love of quality food and for the sake of land stewardship.  We seek someone with an eye for quality and a desire for hard work.  We have 15 years of farming experience and consider ourselves and educational employer.  The position includes opportunities to learn all facets of running a small farm business.

Beginning pay is $9.50/hour.
We do not have employee housing.

Please call or email with questions.

Nicolas Theisen

Loma Farm
7606 East Birch Point Road
Traverse City, MI 49684
(970) 217.5904<file://localhost/tel/%2528970%2529%2520217.5904>
lomafarm.tumblr.com<http://lomafarm.tumblr.com/>

Sunny Meadows Flower Farm
Field Crew Member, Accountant, Delivery Driver, and Field Prep Leader
•    Is self-­-motivated to move quickly and complete the task at hand efficiently;
•    Is committed to doing good work with a good attitude.
•    Is able to work all day on their feet lifting heavy things whether it’s raining,
sweltering or beautiful out.
•    Is able to work fast and efficiently both at time sensitive tasks like harvest
and mind-­-numbing jobs like hand weeding.
•    Works well with others in a responsible manner without letting socializing
get in the way of efficient work.
•    Has a strong interest in local, sustainable flowers
•    Is positive and inquisitive
•    Is energetic, hard-­-working and highly motivated
•    Desire to work and live in a cooperative setting
•    Takes precautions to avoid accidents, keeping safety in mind, especially
around heavy equipment and vehicles.
•    Is willing to be in the public eye, positively representing our business

Field Crew Member  All field crew members are involved in almost all aspects of the farm: planting, cultivating, irrigation, pest and disease control, mowing, greenhouse management, washing buckets, and especially harvesting and processing flowers. Some days are full of many varied tasks, while others are more monotonous (for example, lots of hand-­-weeding). We have fun, but the task at hand must always take priority– crew members must be able to work quickly and efficiently, whether it is beautiful and warm or cold and rainy. Harvest team members must always maintain an eye towards quality and a desire to work efficiently. Crew members can expect to gain a strong understanding of all aspects of running a sustainable flower farm. $10/hr.   Must be able to lift, bend, and work outside in the elements.  You will need rain gear, a sun hat, and proper work attire. You will get dirty and sweaty, but it is rewarding work.  We are looking for help Monday-­- Saturday. Some staff will go to markets on Saturday, and a couple people will be at the farm to do the daily chores.
5 days/week plus rotating weekend chores or farmer’s markets
We work 8 – 11 hours a day, depending on the time of year. Hours vary throughout the season. March-­-May hours are 40-­-45 per week, June-­-July are 50-­-55 per week, August and September can be nearly 60 per week, Oct and Nov are 35-­-45 per week. Lunch every day from 12:30-­-1:30 pm.
5 unpaid vacation/sick days per season.  Employee is responsible for housing (we can help you find housing), reliable transportation to farm, and appropriate farm clothes/raingear.
Field Prep Leader
This position is a Field Crew Member plus. From tractor to irrigation work, this position includes just about everything we do on the farm. Work includes some harvest, irrigation, tractor-­- cultivation and bed prep, netting, and much more! Previous work experience/education in agriculture is preferred. Ideally, tractor operating experience and/or some shop experience too. Applicants are required to have a high level of organization and an attention to the details of agricultural equipment and tractors.  $10/hr. Room for a raise based on experience, and potential long-­-term employment.
Must be able to lift, bend, and work outside in the elements.  You will need rain gear, a sun hat, and proper work attire.  You will get dirty and sweaty, but it is rewarding work.  We are looking for help Monday-­- Saturday. Some staff will go to markets on Saturday, and a couple people will be at the farm to do the daily chores.
5 days/week plus rotating weekend chores or farmer’s markets.
We work 8 – 11 hours a day, depending on the time of year. Hours vary throughout the season. March-­-May hours are 40-­-45 per week, June-­-July are 50-­-55 per week, August and September can be nearly 60 per week, Oct and Nov are 35-­-45 per week. Lunch every day from 12:30-­-1:30 pm.  5 unpaid vacation/sick days per season.  Employee is responsible for housing (we can help you find housing), reliable transportation to farm, and appropriate farm clothes/raingear.
Office Assistant
Work includes data entry, helping to maintain social media, communicating with brides via email, some bookkeeping, and delivery logistical work as well. 12-­-16 hours per week is all that is needed, but this could be combined with part time work in the field or studio to make it a full time position. Computer skills required-­- Excel, Gmail, Google Drive, and social media. Quickbooks knowledge preferred.
Delivery driver
We are looking for someone with a stellar driving record and experience with driving a delivery truck through a city. Our truck is a cab over, 11’ high and has a 14’ box.  Ability for bending and lifting up to 40 lbs. required as truck is loaded and unloaded by hand. No CDL required, but box truck experience a must. Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday are required days. Can be combined with part time work in the field to make it a full time position. $10/hr.
Other notes:
All meals are on your own. For those employees selling for us at the farmer’s market, you are welcome to trade any flowers left at the end with other vendors for produce to help feed yourself and/or farm crew.
Once you have learned a skill, you will do it unsupervised – so you must be a trustworthy, hardworking individual. We also appreciate a desire and patience for community, as you will be working with the same folks throughout the season. Each worker receives 1-­-2 areas of responsibility, in which we hope they become proficient (irrigation, pest control, greenhouse, solo farmers market, vehicle maintenance, etc.)
Educational Opportunities:
For those employees interested in an internship/learning position, there will be 10 sessions of a once a week dinner/class held at the farm. We will cover such topics in further detail: seeding and transplanting; compost making, soil health and fertility; cover cropping; irrigation; trellising and pruning; weed, pest and disease prevention and management; intercropping; succession planting; managing and improving high tunnels; crop post-­-harvest care; marketing and delivering; selling at a farmers' markets; general farm maintenance. Curriculum will be determined by employees’ desire of learning.  There is an extensive farming library where the staff can help facilitate independent study.
We enjoy teaching as we work so you understand what we’re doing, but we don’t let it slow us down. We have short morning meetings to discuss the workload and schedule. Unpaid field trips may be offered as workload allows.
Interested applicants should send their resume and cover letter to Gretel Adams at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Farm Food Collaborative
The FFC is a project of the Food Bank of North Alabama, a nonprofit, tax-exempt charity dedicated to ending hunger in the region. The Food Bank supplies 7 million pounds of food a year to a network of 250 charitable feeding programs serving over 80,000 residents in north Alabama at risk of hunger. The Food Bank also seeks proactive solutions aimed at addressing hunger’s root causes. To this end, the Food Bank pursues economic development initiatives that strengthen the local food system and support local farmers, local food entrepreneurship, and greater access to healthy food choices.

Assistant Local Food Coordinator
The Assistant Local Food Coordinator will assist the Local Food Director of North Alabama’s first local food hub called the Farm Food Collaborative.

The Farm Food Collaborative (FFC)
currently has three types of members:
[if  Local farmers;
[if  Local buyers including schools, workplace cafeterias, restaurants, distributors, grocery stores, and food service contractors; and
[if]  Support agencies including the Alabama Department of Agriculture and Alabama Cooperative Extension.
The central aim of the FFC is to facilitate sales of locally grown foods to local buyers and create easy access to these healthy food choices where residents are – at work, at school and at the grocery store.

The Assistant Local Food Coordinator will assist with (a) developing and maintaining positive, long-term relationships among the Collaborative’s membership, (b) building the capacity of local farmers to meet buyer requirements, and (c) facilitating sales of local food to local buyers.

Location:             Huntsville, AL
Salary Range:     $34,000-$36,000 plus benefits
To Apply: Please submit an application, cover letter, resume and writing sample by close of business February 20th, 2015 to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Early submission is encouraged as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Error! Hyperlink reference not valid.<http://the%20job%20description%20and%20application%20are%20available%20here/> at www.foodbanknorthal.org<http://www.foodbanknorthal.org/>.

Writing samples may include an article, letter, or excerpt from a proposal or report. Writing samples should not exceed two pages.
The Food Bank of North Alabama is an equal opportunity employer and provider.

Apple Pond Farm
Apple Pond Farm & Renewable Energy Education Center is located in Callicoon Center, NY .
Please respond to Sonja Hedlund, whose contact info is below. The apprenticeship comes with a stipend and room and board.

We are looking for an apprentice for the upcoming season, starting shortly. Ours is a diverse farm of garden/vegetables and animals raised for meat (sheep, goats, turkeys, chickens), following organic principles, with an active education program related to  sustainable farming, renewable energy. This year we want to expand into providing vegetables to the local farm to school program.

In late March/April our lambs and goats will give birth - a great time to be here and always very rewarding, demanding too.

The position has always been a live in position - and we have been very pleased with those who have been here to help this farm grow. Several have gone on to farm for themselves.

We have a listing on this web site.
https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/internships/

Write with your background or call me at 845 482 4764.

Please pass this note on to others you think might be interested.

Sonja Hedlund
Apple Pond Farm & Renewable Energy Education Center
P.O. Box 371
80 Hahn Road
Callicoon Center, NY. 12724
www.applepondfarm.com<http://www.applepondfarm.com/>
www.facebook.com/ApplePondFarm<http://www.facebook.com/ApplePondFarm>
(845) 482 4764

Scholarships available
Permaculture
Deadline February 15, 2015
Full Scholarships Available!
Room and Board, Permaculture Design Certificate, 6 months full season training and in the second year, full-time paid position.

Become a School Garden Coordinator. A Local Food Coordinator. Teach in an Educational Garden. Manage an Urban Farm. Start a Value Added food business.
Be a Farmer. All of our graduates have gone on to do these things!

Allegheny Mountain Institute (AMI) is seeking inspiring individuals to
Participate in the fifth cohort of our AMI Farm Fellowship (formerly the AMS Fellowship).  Applications are available at
www.alleghenymountaininstitute.org.  The deadline to submit your application is February 15, 2015.

Our goal at AMI is to build skills to help individuals and their communities create a vibrant and accessible local food economy.

The AMI 2015 Farm Fellowship begins April 19, 2015 and ends November 1, 2015.
During this period, AMI Farm Fellows work both on our farm site in Highland County, Virginia and on urban farm projects in Staunton, Virginia.  Farm Fellows study sustainable food production, whole foods preparation and preservation, mindfulness, wellness and nutrition, land stewardship and community development.

Upon successful completion AMI Farm Fellowship, you will receive a
Permaculture Design Certificate, as well as gain full season experience working and learning on an education-based, diversified vegetable farm.

AMI Farm Fellows are provided room, board and training. AMI provides basic kitchen staples and AMI Farm Fellows grow much of their own food. Tuition is
$3,000.00 (full scholarships are available).

AMI Farm Fellows who have successfully completed this fellowship will be eligible to apply to become AMI Senior Fellows for 2016. As AMI Senior Fellows, you will receive an $18,000 stipend for one year to work on projects and with Partner Organizations throughout Central Virginia and the Allegheny-Highlands.  AMI Senior Fellows design and operate community and school gardens, train teachers in school garden-based curriculum, coordinator food projects for communities, coordinate pea patch gardens, teach nutrition and cooking for a healthy lifestyle.

The AMI Farm Fellowship is a program of Allegheny Mountain Institute.
Allegheny Mountain Institute admits candidates of any race, color, gender, sexual orientation, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to Fellows. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship programs, and other school-administered programs.

Michigan State University Organic Farm Training Program-Scholarships

The OFTP is a unique opportunity for new and beginning farmers seeking intensive instruction in year-round organic production. It is designed to teach both production and management skills in an environment where personalized learning goals and training are emphasized. Students engage in the management of the Student Organic Farm’s production for the farm’s primary markets, including a 48-week CSA, a 7-month on-campus farm stand, and sales to campus dining services.

What does the OFTP have to offer?

A certificate in Organic Farming from MSU’s Student Organic Farm, the Department of Horticulture, and the Center for Regional Food Systems
Management of passive solar greenhouses for cold climate year-round production
Access and exposure to a variety of job opportunities, conferences, and organizations
Connections to a local, regional, national, and global network of people active in the sustainable agriculture movement
Knowledge and skills in:

o Soil & Fertility Management
o Vegetable & Fruit Production
o Livestock Management
o Harvest & Post Harvest Handling
o Compost Production & Use
o Passive Solar Greenhouse Management
o Insect, Disease & Weed Management
o Farm & Business Planning
o Transplant Production
            o Direct and Wholesale Marketing
For more information visit http://msuorganicfarm.org/organic-farmer-training-program
Please contact Denae at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or 517-449-3290<file://localhost/tel/517-449-3290> if you have questions or are interested in applying!

Land-Farm Available
Family seeks a farmer to live and farm in Erie County (OHIO).  Potential own or rent to own land (5 - 300 acres), buildings, equipment and homestead.  Comes as a package.  Call Karen at 419-433-7612

Thanks,
Karen Langan
Mulberry Creek Herb Farm
3312 Bogart Road
Huron, Ohio  44839
419-433-6126

Vicki Morrone
Organic farming specialist
Center For Regional Food Systems at MSU
480 Wilson Rd Rm 303
East Lansing, MI 48824
517-353-3542/517-282-3557 (cell)
Www.MichiganOrganic.Msu.edu

If you would like to access previous postings to the Mich-Organic listserv you can copy and paste the following URL into your browser address bar
 http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html