From: Steven Semken [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2015 11:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Do you teach historical geology?

Esteemed Colleagues,

If you teach or have taught historical geology at the undergraduate level, I have a request for you.

I’m a member of a research group (funded by the Howard Hughes Medical Institute) that is currently engaged in using innovations in scientific content and course delivery to reform the teaching of historical geology.  We hope that our eventual findings and products will appeal to a wide range of geoscience educators.  In order to accomplish this, we need to know what topics and learning outcomes are most important and interesting to the community.

If you have a recent historical-geology course syllabus (in PDF, Word, or other digital format) that includes any or all of the following:

(1) List of course outcomes or goals
(2) List of topics presented in the course
(3) A course schedule or itinerary that includes major topics,

would you kindly take a moment to send a copy of your syllabus (or simply a list of your primary topics or outcomes) to me by email?

Our intent is only to compile and categorize a comprehensive list of outcomes and topics. Any syllabi we receive will be considered confidential and will be  destroyed after we have compiled the data.  We’ll also share our final list with all who shared their syllabi with us.

If you have any questions I’d be happy to answer them.

Thank you for your assistance!

Sincerely,
Steve Semken

Steven Semken
Associate Professor of Geology and Geoscience Education | School of Earth and Space Exploration
Senior Sustainabiity Scientist | Julie Ann Wrigley Global Institute of Sustainability
Deputy Director for Education and Outreach | EarthScope National Office

ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | 480-965-7965
PO Box 871404 | Tempe AZ 85287-1404
http://semken.asu.edu