Please post to AIB list-serve.  Thank you.

Kevin Stephenson
Administrative Manager
Department of International Business
George Washington University

**************************************************************************************************************

Now accepting applications to the Ph.D. program in International Business at the George Washington University School of Business

PROGRAM OBJECTIVES

The Ph.D. program in the International Business Department seeks to:
·         Equip students with an in-depth and comprehensive knowledge of international business concepts
·         Provide students with necessary conceptual, quantitative, and methodological skills to carry out high quality empirical research aimed at publication in top-tier academic journals.
·         Produce well-trained students who will be able to obtain an academic appointment at a top school in one of these disciplines.
·         Prepare candidates for the varied responsibilities of academic careers

These objectives are accomplished in several ways including through formal course work, independent study and reading, formal assignments as research assistants, student- or faculty-initiated research projects, dissertation research, and co-authoring papers with one or more faculty members and other Ph.D. students.

PROGRAM

The PhD Program consists of 16 Graduate Level Courses. Up to 2 elective courses can be waived by related graduate level coursework from another institution. In keeping with the multi-disciplinary nature of the field, we offer two tracks: Global Strategy and Global Political Economy. PhD seminars offered by IB Department faculty include courses on Institutions and Development, Global Strategy, Knowledge and Innovation, International Finance, and International Political Economy.  Students pick a track and coursework that corresponds with their research interests.  Students will develop skills and capabilities to perform cutting-edge research in their chosen track.  Programs mixing elements of the tracks are possible, depending on student interests.

Program highlights include a four year fellowship with a fifth year conditional on performance, close collaboration with an accomplished faculty, and ability to leverage resources across business schools, think-tanks, The World Bank, International Monetary Fund, and other research organizations in Washington D.C., one of the most vibrant intellectual centers of politics and economics in the United States.

The International Business program at GWU is ranked as one of the top 20 programs in International Business by US News and World Report. GWU is also a designated Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER) funded by the U.S. Department of Education that provides students with resources for research and teaching in the area of Institutions, the State, and Development in International Business.

PROGRAM FACULTY

The research and expertise of the faculty of the International Business Department spans a broad theoretical base, including economics, political science, finance, management and banking.  The multi-disciplinary perspectives are facilitated by the eclectic expertise of our program faculty.
·         We have a large group of faculty who publish in top journals and university presses.
·         Our faculty co-author articles with their PhD students.
·         Many of our faculty members have been asked to serve on the Editorial Review Boards of several top journals, including the Journal of International Business, Organization Science, the Global Strategy Journal, and the Strategic Management Journal
·         Our faculty have a strong record of receiving external grants to support their research.
·         The IB Department has held regular, well attended research seminars by external speakers over the past several years.
·         Many of our faculty have been finalists for the Best Dissertation Awards in their field
·         Our faculty have served on the Executive Committees of the organizing committees of major conferences in our field as well as being track chairs for several conferences (including the Academy of Management Annual Meeting and the Academy of International Business Annual Meeting).

APPLICATION PROCESS

The objective of the Ph.D. program is to prepare students for academic careers at major research universities. Accordingly, the following criteria are considered when evaluating candidates for admission:

·         Performance in previous degree programs
·         Letters of recommendation attesting to the applicant's potential for success in a competitive graduate program/test scores
·         Consistence between the candidate’s research interests and that of the faculty
·         Congruence between the applicant's professional and educational goals and the requirements and objectives of the PhD program.

We would love to hear from you.  The deadline for applications is January 15, 2015.            Detailed information about the application process and online applications are on our website.   http://business.gwu.edu/programs/doctoral-programs/fields-of-study/international-business/