Dear Colleagues:

Greetings from the Department of Strategy & Policy, NUS Business School!

Our recruitment drive for Doctoral students for Academic Year 2015-2016 is NOW OPEN!

If you have qualified students, particularly those at the Master’s level, who are considering pursuing a Doctoral degree in a Management area, such as Organizational Theory, Strategic Management, Technology, or Entrepreneurship, please let them know about the opportunities in our department.

We will consider highly qualified students who come from areas inside or outside of business.

The NUS doctoral program in Strategy and Policy is flexible and interdisciplinary, with a focus on understanding how companies develop and sustain competitive advantage in our emerging part of the world. We seek students with not only strong academic backgrounds, but also real world experience and the initiative and intellectual curiosity to break new ground. Field research that capitalizes on our own competitive advantage of being based in emerging Asia is highly encouraged. The faculty in the Strategy and Policy group spans a broad range of perspectives, including the disciplinary areas of economics, sociology, political science, and law, as well as the more phenomenologically oriented fields of international business, entrepreneurship, and innovation.  Faculty is actively engaged in applying research methodologies that range from econometric analysis of large data sets to field experiments, firm surveys, and case studies.

Furthermore, the combined expertise in the department about the unique and dynamic business environments of China, India, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Taiwan, and Vietnam is likely unmatched in the world. We are focused on producing top tier research and are interested in potential Ph.D. applicants with the desire to engage in rigorous research and eventually take a faculty position at a research university.  Faculty information can be viewed at http://bschool.nus.edu/StrategyPolicy/FacultyStaff/FacultyMembers/tabid/1100/Default.aspx

We offer a balanced array of doctoral seminars and emphasize close faculty-student involvement on research projects.  Students accepted into the program will have free tuition plus a monthly stipend to cover living expenses.

The online application deadline for consideration for the 2015-2016 academic year is 31 December 2014. More information about the program, including details on the applications process, job placements of our scholars after graduation, please visit: http://bschool.nus.edu.sg/PHD/tabid/240/Default.aspx

About the NUS Business School

For over 45 years, NUS Business School has offered a rigorous, relevant and rewarding business education to outstanding men and women from across the world. The school remains distinctive among the world's leading business schools by offering the best of global knowledge with deep Asian insights, preparing students to lead Asian businesses to the forefront of the world economy and to help global businesses succeed in Asia. Today, the school continues its tradition of attracting a diversity of smart and talented students to its broad portfolio of academic programmes, including BBA, MBA, Executive MBA, MSc and PhD programmes. It also offers a wide range of customized and open enrolment programmes in its Executive Education courses. Admission to NUS Business School is remarkably competitive, and we are proud of the exceptionally high quality of our students.

The school has a distinguished international faculty educated in renowned universities including Harvard, Wharton, MIT, Oxford and many others. Known for their research quality and great teaching, our faculty members are committed in providing students a top-rate business education.

NUS Business School has consistently received top rankings in the Asia-Pacific region by independent publications and agencies such as The Financial Times, Economist Intelligence Unit, and QS Top MBA, in recognition of the quality of its programmes, faculty research and graduates. The Financial Times ranked the NUS MBA 36th in the world in 2013, the Asia Pacific Executive MBA and the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) - NUS Executive MBA 26th and 5th in the world in 2012 respectively. With NUS being a comprehensive university with disciplines in medicine, architecture, engineering, computing, law, social sciences, and more, we are in a unique position to leverage on the breadth and depth of the University, including accessing a vast and highly diverse student body of over 37,000 students on campus and a global network of over 177,000 alumni. NUS Business School is the institution of choice for many seeking a rigorous business education and more!

Why Singapore?

Singapore is a bustling cosmopolitan city populated with high-rise buildings and landscape gardens. Brimming with a harmonious blend of culture, cuisine, arts and architecture, Singapore is a dynamic city that’s rich in contrast and colour. In fact, you can even say that Singapore embodies the finest of both East and West. At present, Singapore’s population stands at about five million people, with English as the main language of instruction, and a mother tongue for each major ethnicity. One of the distinctly Singaporean things you’ll notice on our island is a ubiquitous collage of cultures. Coming together as a society and living in harmony, there are four major races – namely the Chinese (majority), Malay, Indian and Eurasian. Each community offers a different perspective of life in Singapore in terms of culture, religion, food and language.

If you prefer the bright city lights and being amidst the hustle and bustle, then you’ll be delighted to know that there are numerous shopping malls, museums, and dining and entertainment hotspots to choose from. Get into the thick of the shopping action at the iconic Orchard Road stretch, or party the night away at the Clarke Quay or Boat Quay areas, both of which offer a myriad selection of nightlife activities. Furthermore, Singapore is the hub of the broader dynamic region of Southeast Asia, with fascinating and eclectic destinations such as Myanmar, Indonesia, Thailand, and Vietnam all within reach with a flight of only 3 hours or less.

The other thing that will strike you most about Singapore is its multifarious offering of food – day or night, there will always be something to whet your appetite. With a range of dining options from Peranakan to Chinese, Indian to Malay, fusion and more, you’ll be spoilt for choice.

Beyond the history, culture, people, shopping and food, there are many more facets to Singapore’s thriving cityscape for you to discover. And these can only be experienced as you immerse yourself in the exploration of this once fishing village turned cosmopolitan city!

** If you have any questions about the program, please feel free to contact me at [log in to unmask]

Kind regards,

Associate Professor Ishtiaq Pasha Mahmood
PhD Program Coordinator, Department of Strategy & Policy

NUS Business School

National University of Singapore

Important: This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify us immediately; you should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person. Thank you.