Dear colleagues,

We are happy to announce our conference:
“Protecting the Weak”
Conference at Goethe University, Frankfurt/Main, January, 22 – 24, 2015
The upcoming conference is part of the research project “Protecting the Weak. Entangled Processes of Framing, Mobilization and Institutionalization in East Asia” funded by the Volkswagen Foundation within its initiative "Key issues for Academia and Society". The starting point is that we perceive a paradigmatic shift to be taking place in public debates about the "weak". Both in Europe and East Asia, there seems to be a growing awareness of weak groups and interests in society which goes along with claims that these "weak" be protected in the name of a common good which is reconceptualized in this process. New conceptualizations of the common good seem to be based on the assumption that the "weak" should be protected through collective strategies. Based on a selection of four pairs of comparative case studies - namely, calls to protect disaster victims, employee well-being, cultural heritage, and animal welfare in Japan and China - the issues of reconceptualization and protection of the weak will be discussed empirically.
For more information, please check our website: http://www.protectingtheweak.uni-frankfurt.de
If you wish to participate in the two-day conference, please contact Ms. Christiane Muenscher ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) at the conference office for registration.
Kind regards,
Cornelia Storz
Cornelia Storz
Professor, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Frankfurt
www.wiwi.uni-frankfurt.de\storz<http://www.wiwi.uni-frankfurt.de/de/abteilungen/mm/professuren/storz/institutionen-und-innovationsoekonomik-insb-japanostasien.html>

For assistance:  [log in to unmask]
AIB-L is a moderated list.