So far, I have not heard any compelling arguments to replace Windows XP machines on our network, only a mandate to which I am obligated to abide.

New patches for Windows 7 do not make Windows XP more vulnerable.

According to Microsoft, the Schannel vulnerability is for servers that accept incoming https connections.  We don't have any WinXP (or Win7) computers configured to accept incoming https connections.

I am not an alarmist, and as a result we don't have computer security locked down as tight as it could be, yet we have had zero infections at the machine level since we blocked remote access ports with software[builtin] firewall on all the Windows computers (early 2007), and we use the least privileges policy leading us to use non-admin accounts for daily use.  It wasn't for lack of trying, because the hackers never stopped knocking on the door, even after a network level hardware firewall was installed (early 2010).  This would not be worth mentioning if I had not heard horror stories about departments on campus having multiple (machine level with daily admin user accounts) infections in the same timeframe and having to reinstall Windows operating systems.

Whether you have a discrete GPU or integrated GPU, the GPU is a point of failure.  The discrete GPU does not take memory away from the operating system like the integrated GPU, and on a 4Gb Windows 7 32bit machine where some of the high memory is unavailable because of 32bit limitations, the extra memory afforded by a discrete GPU is often important.  On a 64bit machine with 8Gb memory, a discrete GPU will not provide the same advantage.

Back in 2005 the university had the same security problems-weaknesses only worse with Windows 2000 machines prevalent, and no firewall by default on Windows XP, yet the university did not block all Windows computers from the network.  To quote a friend, "what's next?  is the university going to mandate that we all switch to IOS 6 devices because they are [perceived as] more secure?"

The next statement might be a little self-centered because we have far more desktop Windows XP computers than laptop Windows XP computers: it seems like it would be much more reasonable to mandate that all Windows XP laptop computers be upgraded to Windows 7 or replaced by Win7 computers in the next 3.5 months.  With desktop computers in a fixed location we have other drastic measures we could take like making their switch/router connections VLAN connections directly to a firewall.  VLAN to firewall would take fewer labor hours (in our 99% managed switch environment) and could greatly reduce the attack surface, especially if the hardware firewall is configured with a Default Deny policy for that zone (assuming a lot of university firewalls are using a Default Permit policy like I was forced to use on our firewall).

-Stefan