For the record, here at my shop at MSU I am still running Windows
Vista with a Core 2 2.5 GHz processor and 2 GB of RAM, on a machine
built from parts purchased at Digilink in town.  I use this for some
heavy-duty software development as well as normal office use, and
have not felt any need to upgrade.  Is Windows 7 so different from
Vista that it would require more resources?

-- David McFarlane