View this email in your browser

Internship Opportunities Available!
The Hunter Park GardenHouse is project of Allen Neighborhood Center, a 501(c)(3) organization in Lansing, Michigan. The GardenHouse serves as a demonstration site and hub for year-round garden education. Neighbors volunteer to grow food, flowers, and community; and youth develop job and life skills in service to the neighborhood.

For six years, the Hunter Park GardenHouse has empowered neighbors to grow, prepare, and eat healthy food to better their health and become more connected with the community. We are open 6 days a week, and offer a wide assortment of programs.

Hunter Park GardenHouse Youth Programs Internship

Allen Neighborhood Center’s Hunter Park GardenHouse Youth Programs are offering 2 unpaid internships to those who love working with kids in either our Take Root Garden Club (ages 5-10) or Youth Service Corps (ages 11-17) programs this school year. Our Youth Programs provide free after school programs—teaching job and life skills, nutrition and garden education. Take Root Garden Club is held Tuesday & Thursdays 3:30-5:30pm, and Youth Service Corps is held Monday & Wednesdays 4pm-6pm.

Internship Activities
This person will serve as Hunter Park GardenHouse Youth Programs Intern who will:
Work with the Youth Programs Coordinator to help prepare & facilitate lessons and activities.
Document program efficacy through attendance records and evaluations.
Collaborate with other organizations on special events (MLK Jr. Day, field trips, etc).
Document Youth Programs through social media (update Facebook with photos & updates).

Qualifications
Commitment to serve 10-15 hours per week (January- May 2015 or longer, if possible).
Kid-loving, organized, reliable, enthusiastic, and motivated.
Desire and ability to engage with a diverse group of people, particularly those living in low-income neighborhoods.
Ability to function independently and in a team environment.
Nutrition and gardening experience, a plus.
Good written and oral communication skills.
Familiarity with social media (Facebook) and basic photography.

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide this internship for college credit.

Hunter Park GardenHouse Internship
GardenHouse volunteer shifts are held Monday-Saturday, 10am-12pm.  Allen Neighborhood Center’s Hunter Park GardenHouse is offering 1-2 unpaid internships.

Internship Activities
This person will serve as Hunter Park GardenHouse Intern who will:
Serve as Hunter Park GardenHouse shift leader 1-2 times per week (guide-by-the-side with volunteers to plant, harvest, water, weed, etc., and engage with visitors).
Document GardenHouse programs through social media (update Facebook with photos & updates).
Work with the GardenHouse Director to develop and implement GardenHouse projects (i.e. crop planning, seedling care, plant sale event planning, educational workshops, etc.).

Qualifications
Commitment to 6-10 hours per week (January- May 2015 or longer, if possible).
Desire and ability to engage with a diverse group of people, particularly those living in low-income neighborhoods.
Ability to function independently and in a team environment.
Good written and oral communication skills.
Familiarity with social media (Facebook) and basic photography.

We are able to partner with academic institutions to provide this internship for college credit.

How to Apply

Submit a cover letter and resume to the Food & Fitness Volunteer Coordinator, Kat Logan: [log in to unmask], 517.999.3919.

More information about our GardenHouse programs can be found on our

Website:  www.allenneighborhoodcenter.org/gardenhouse/youthprograms
                 www.allenneighborhoodcenter.org/gardenhouse

Facebook pages:  www.facebook.com/HunterParkGardenHouseYouthServiceCorps
              www.facebook.com/HunterParkGardenHouse

Facebook

Twitter

Website
Copyright © 2014 Allen Neighborhood Center, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
Allen Neighborhood Center
1619 East Kalamazoo Street
Lansing, MI 48912

unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences