FWIW
I haven't done much Yosemite testing, but did a bare metal install
yesterday.  The mail client worked for me, both incoming and outgoing
(at least for one test message).

I was surprised it successfully sent the message after reading Kim's
comments. I agree with her that there is no place to configure the
outgoing mail server, but it must have figured it out somehow?  (one
message was sent from MSU to Gmail)

-John
HRLR