Dr. Rachel Ankeny Professor, School of History and Politics, University of Adelaide

Are You What you Eat?

An Exploration of Decisions about Ethical Food Consumption

There is increasing awareness that our choices about what foodstuffs to consume are more complex than a simple response to an empty stomach. We are variously encouraged to eat local, organic, or sustainable foodstuffs; to consider whether our foods have been produced in humane or sustainable ways; or more generally, to buy and eat responsibly. Our recent qualitative research in Australia reveals that many consumers are frustrated when attempting to the ‘right’ choices about food, which contributes to heightening levels of what has been described as ‘food anxiety.’ I argue that many of these ethical food choices are in fact not novel in terms of the values which they represent, but that contemporary consumers are unique in the way that they use these decisions to express their identities.

3pm, October 31st, 2014
134 South Kedzie Hall

Refreshments served just before 3pm; Discussion to follow at 4pm

Refreshments Included
MSU faculty members should RSVP with Kyle Whyte ([log in to unmask]) if they plan to have large groups of their students attend this presentation
The event is part of the Philosophy Department’s Series on Socially Relevant Philosophy of/in Science & Engineering, see http://srpoise.org/ in collaboration with the Environmental Philosophy & Ethics graduate concentration.

Kyle