[log in to unmask]">
Program and Purpose of Volunteer Position:
AARP Foundation is teaming up with Fair Food Network to increase the use of their successful Double Up Food Bucks program. The focus will be on older adults through volunteer outreach and nutrition education in grocery stores and farmers markets. Double Up "matches" SNAP (Bridge Card) dollars spent, at farmers markets across the state and in some grocery stores in Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Battle Creek with dollars to spend on fresh, locally grown Michigan produce. The Double Up Outreach Volunteer will educate shoppers about how the program works and is carried out in the produce aisle and at the register.
[log in to unmask]">
· Explain Double Up to interested grocery store shoppers
· Assist shoppers in locating Double Up eligible produce at the store or farmers market
· Walk and talk with customers to show them ways to spend SNAP dollars and Double Up effectively
· Serve as a source of information and referral to other local area social services and community partners
Qualifications and Length of Service:
This role is from June 1st to November 30th. The Double Up Volunteer should
Time, Training, and Travel:
Time commitment will vary, depending on the phase of the program and volunteer preference.
Times to choose from:
· Thursday 4 to 7pm (3 hours)
· Friday 4 to 7pm (3 hours)
· Saturday 10am to 6pm (8 hours)
· Sunday 10am to 12, 3 to 6pm (5 hours)
Advantages to Outreach Volunteer:
The Double Up Volunteer will gain the following from this role:
· Instrumental involvement in a growing nonprofit program in the food systems field
Appointment, Supervision and Scope of Authority:
The Double Up Outreach Volunteer will be afforded the necessary guidance, training and materials needed to connect with shoppers about the program, with support from AARP Foundation and Fair Food Network. A short informational video on a mobile device provided for use at the market will help you explain the program to new shoppers. AARP Foundation reimburses volunteers for covered pre-approved program related expenses, which will be explained and provided upon acceptance of the position.
To apply, email Erin Allen at [log in to unmask], or call her at 313-318-2719.