Matt & others.

FYI: I checked with the EBS technical group and this was their response about this:

Java requirement is mentioned in the compatibility matrix on EBS website under footnote ‘a’. For SAP, Java is only required for SAP WebGUI to print information or download data into Excel. If the end user machine does not have Java or the latest version of Java then SAP WebGUI enforces it by notifying the user to install/update it. See screen shot below:

So if people aren't keeping their Java up-to-date at least they'll know.