Hi fellow MSUNAG readers

I have run into a very bizarre problem and I wonder if anyone else had
the same issue and was able to resolve it.  Here it is in a nutshell:

Sometimes (but not always) when I set up a new Windows 8 system here
and I try to give it a static IP address, no matter what I do Windows
flags the network as "Public" and then it has a lot of difficulty
doing anything over the network.  However, if I leave the IP as one
generated by the MSU DHCP servers, it gets correctly marked as a work
network "Private" and all is well.  Unfortunately for some of my
systems I really want to use static IP addresses.  I have tried
setting the various network parameters using SECPOL, turning all
networks to default to "Private" and even that does not work.
Previously when running Windows 7 and I had the same issue, a
Microsoft "Fix-It" registry modification worked but trying to use that
same "Fix-It" doesn't work on Windows 8 (I'm not surprised, I am sure
the registry entries are different between the two).  I've also tried
deleting and reloading the network drivers for the NIC, I've tried
different DNS servers, flushed the DNS cache, etc. but absolutely
nothing has worked.  Anyway, if someone has any suggestions or has
managed to fix this problem, I would greatly appreciate some advice!

Cameron

Cameron R. Williams
Information Technologist
Center for Global Change and Earth Observations
Michigan State University
1405 S. Harrison Rd.
218 Manly Miles Bldg.
East Lansing, MI  48823