Attn Listserv:

The Michigan Farmers Market Association (MIFMA) is hosting a series of six on-farm field days this summer and fall to help specialty crop producers grow and expand their businesses to meet the increasing demand for local food in our state. Specialty crops are defined as fruits and vegetables, tree nuts, dried fruits, and nursery crops (including floriculture). The field days will take places at farms and farmers markets and will be taught by the real experts- farmers and farm resource providers. The format of each field day is set up to facilitate farmer-to-farmer learning focused on a particular topic, and also allow for networking and open discussion. The field days are part of MIFMA's inaugural Farm-Based Education Programs.

The first field day,
Drip Irrigation for Specialty Crop Producers, will take place on Monday, July 28 from 1 to 4 p.m. at Kuntry Gardens, 29910 R-Drive S. in Homer, MI. Farmer Andy Stutzman will share how he uses drip irrigation in his hoophouses and fields and the lessons he's learned working with this type of system. Participants will have the opportunity to tour the farm, see systems in action and get some hands-on experience working with irrigation parts and tape. Topics to be covered include setting up and scheduling irrigation systems, water quality and sampling, fertigation, costs and sources for equipment, maintenance, winterization and more. Check out our flyerFacebook event and the event calendar for more details. Please be advised that Andy and his family are Amish. Cameras are allowed however taking photographs of Andy or his family is not welcome.

Other field days in this series include:

Registration is required to attend and is free to MIFMA members. Register online at our registration page, or contact MIFMA at 517-432-3381. Not a member? Learn more or join today at www.mifma.org.

For more information about upcoming events, please see our Facebook events page and Calendar of Events.

Thanks!

Best,

--
Kat Curtis
Member Support Coordinator

MIFMA Facebook

MIFMA Twitter

Get under the umbrella!
If you would like to access a searchable archive of the all the previous Mich-Organic listserv postings copy this URL and paste in your browser address field http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html