Hello,

My name is Jordan Lindsay and I am a recent graduate from MSU.  I am now serving as an AmeriCorps member at Cristo Rey Community Center in North Lansing.  I am coordinating the community garden and we are looking for volunteers to help out with it.  Currently we have several raised beds with fruits and vegetables like strawberries, okra, onions, tomatoes, peppers, turnips, squash, etc.  I am reaching out to faculty in the plant and soil sciences specifically because it would be great to have people in the garden who are passionate about soil and food, and who also know a thing or two about pest management. This is also a great opportunity for students to get hands on experience identifying pest problems and trying different methods to solve them.

If you could forward this opportunity along to your students/ anyone else who may be interested, I would really appreciate it.  Our mission here at Cristo Rey Community Center is to break the cycle of poverty by advocating for self-sufficiency.  All vegetables from the garden go to our community kitchen that serves hot breakfast, and sack lunch for free five days a week.  We are also hosting gardening, cooking, and nutrition workshops to teach people the skills they need to be self-sufficient. We will also be working with the youth program to teach kids about plants and how they grow. Please feel free to send any questions to [log in to unmask]

I am also attaching a calendar of our July events to get a better idea of what were up to.

Also, if you have a class that you think would be particularly interested, I am available to come talk to them about it.  Let me know.

Thanks,

Jordan Lindsay
AmeriCorps Member
Cristo Rey Community Center