MSUNAGers,
I received many responses. They all are very much appreciated.
They all ranged from local vendors to remote companies all over the
country to software (some free, some cheap and some expensive) options
to fix it myself.
I decided to pass in the "do it yourself" option because I have no
experience on this and also because  I already have enough in my plate.
I ended up going to Data Clinic. http://dataclinicusa.com/
They have their shop in Pennsylvania avenue.
I haven't get my data back yet but the guy already gave me a list of the
files in the disk so it seems like it is going to work. It will cost me
$450. The disk was 1TB.

I don't know it is reasonable or not but is way cheaper than any other
option that I checked before sending it. They all seem to be soooo vague
and will quote something like "in between $600 and $2000".

The day of the problem I had the user over my shoulder in a panic state
over his data (I told him to let me have that machine in the back up
loop but he never came around to get it done, but that is another story)
so we took the drive to Data Clinic in the same day. Next day I found
that MSU IT Services offers data recovery and it seems to be much
cheaper. If I knew of them before I would probably give it to them, but
it was too late.

oscar

--
Oscar Castaņeda