Depends on the type of failure.  Is the platter still spinning? Does the Bios see
there is a hard drive attached?  Clicking grinding noise?

Not noise = bad, have someone else do it.

Not seen by bios platter not seen = maybe
*Try finding an identical drive right down to the firmware on and dates and
swap I/O boards.  The board could be burned out.  I have done the "freeze"
trick to get them back.

Finally partition/sector failure = Spin Rite and HD recovery
*Hiren's boot CD 10.6 has the HD recovery and will attempt to repair back
sectors.  And something like Undelete if the data was "wiped"
Hope this helps
Timothy Good