Dear all,

We are inviting submissions from geoscience/science educational researchers
to the Annual Meeting of the Geological Society of America (GSA), hosted in
Vancouver, Canada (October 19-22, 2014).

The session of interest is titled: “Global Geoscience Education Research:
Fostering Collaboration across Geographic and Cultural Borders” (T58.).

We welcome contributions from all geoscience educators that encourage
global collaboration by highlighting individual research groups and
specialties and/or research questions specific to cultures and nations. A
full session description is provided below:

Post-secondary geoscience education research and initiatives have become
global phenomena. On the occasion of this internationally-hosted annual GSA
Meeting, we welcome the research community to a discussion of the global
state of geoscience education research.

Pockets of researchers work together to improve the teaching of geosciences
and understand how geoscientists think and behave. Like other science
education disciplines, geoscience education research is made up of
interdisciplinary researchers from the natural sciences, psychology and
education spheres. We publish in a myriad of journals and attend a variety
of conferences, encompassing disciplines and regions that are sometimes far
removed from one another. This session will be designed to encourage
presenter and attendee discussions, collaborations and proposed solutions
in an effort to unite a globally-relevant, but disjointed research
community. We aim here to bring together researchers from many cultures and
nations.

This session invites abstracts which touch on the following topics to share
with the greater community: 1. Showcasing geoscience education research
groups and their research initiatives in order to encourage awareness and
exposure of cutting-edge research; and 2. Culture-/nation- specific
research questions and/or practical solutions to challenges that
researchers and educators face.

---

The abstract submission deadline is Tuesday, July 29th, 2014. Full details
can be found on the GSA 2014 Annual Meeting abstract website:
http://community.geosociety.org/gsa2014/science/sessions
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.geosociety.org%2Fgsa2014%2Fscience%2Fsessions&h=bAQExire_&enc=AZNWaxWU0cbbxuhZ3coZY2MLNw408ZkLTv2SvvPqIVKhoZQTsAt70kz7qc6tkKolKMzVQ52HrMA7riS1vZtOMMRIc1xOtfmtQ-OVqiNkY8kz-dkv-Zmpcl0wSEzEmxwhrkOPk-Dp0HyZxYuzZqnWrMN1&s=1>
.

We look forward to an interesting session full of discussion and the
sharing of ideas and practices from around the globe.

Cheers!
Jacqueline Dohaney and Alison Jolley

Geoscience Education Research Group
University of Canterbury