On Craigslist, I'd advise you to only buy locally. Meet the seller in a
public place with lots of people around. Make sure you check everything
before you finalize the purchase. Craigslist has the disadvantage that
there is no "reputation system".

On ebay you have better chances of knowing the seller's reputation before
buying anything. Prefer sellers with 4.5~5 stars. Be wary of "awesome
deals", if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Pedro Nariyoshi