It depends on how it was backed up I believe.  If you backed Exchange up
with the proper Exchange “Agent” it will let you restore the mailboxes at
what is called the “brick-level”, so as to effectively avoid having to
restore the ENTIRE .edb file.

If you did NOT do this however, I am pretty sure you will need to find a way
(i.e. the additional space, such as maybe an external drive) and then
restore the entire Exchange repository file and then selectively migrate or
export the mailbox or mail from the one to the other mail store.

Can someone confirm this?  It’s been a long time since my MS Mail / Exchange
admin days.

Jason