From: Gary Schrock [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2014 10:18 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] What's the going rate for tech student employees these days/

 A year or two ago I think we were paying about $10 or $10.50 for a straight tech support student.  We've since gone to more of a hybrid tech support/programming position, which we pay more for (not sure what that amount is), which we also hope will help keep the student more interested in sticking around for a while.

But I'll be honest, when we were hiring a tech student, it was a royal pain in the neck to find anyone remotely qualified that was interested.  Most of the applications I'd get you'd be lucky to find anything on there that indicated they knew how to turn on a computer.
It wasn't uncommon that it took quite a while for me to fill the position.

Not to paint the entire student body with the same brush (since we've had some excellent students once we found them), but I personally think it says something about the work ethic of the current generation of students.  Of course, this generation also thinks that they should make $15/hr working at McDonalds, so you can only imagine what that would do for the hiring price for someone that actually needs some skills.

BTW, I'd make sure you advertise outside of just the computer science population when looking for someone like this.  The last couple of pure tech student types I had were a theater major and a marketing major.