University of Montana Western specifically asked to distribute this announcement to the GEOED list. It sounds like the position might move from a non tenure stream to a tenure stream position.

The Environmental Sciences Department at the University of Montana Western is seeking an innovative and passionate teacher and student-oriented researcher for a full time, non-tenure track position in hydrology and surficial processes starting in August, 2014. Although the position is initially non-tenure track, our program is growing (about 100 majors) and there is a good chance of getting it rapidly converted.

UMW is on the block system, so classes are taught one at a time for a month. The large blocks of time and focus on one subject at a time provide unparalleled opportunities for an innovative teacher to incorporate her/his research into class projects for students (check out what we do at UMW on the department Facebook page: (www.facebook.com/UMWenvirosciences).

Our beautiful campus was founded in 1893, and has a student population of around 1400. We have the fastest student growth of any campus in Montana (44.3% over the last 10 years) as a result of the popularity of block scheduling. The Environmental Sciences Department is a mix of geology, biology, chemistry and physics faculty who service about 100 majors in Environmental Sciences and Environmental Interpretation. The faculty not only work closely together on projects, but we foster a family atmosphere, which includes our students.

A very high percentage of our graduates place in jobs and graduate schools, largely because our project-based approach builds portfolios that show what they can do. This is a unique opportunity in geoscience education, and so the successful candidate will have to demonstrate the ability to think and act very creatively as an educator. Our experiential and immersion-learning approach is not for everyone, so please look over our philosophy of undergraduate education very carefully before applying.

Dillon is a town of about 6000 people, located in a high mountain valley and surrounded by mountains that reach over 11,000 feet into the "Big Sky." The valley contains three famous trout-fishing rivers, we are about 30 miles from a fabulous alpine skiing mountain (Maverick Mountain) and less than two hours from Yellowstone National Park. Dillon has excellent public schools, a Patagonia Outlet, coffee shops and a brand new brew pub! Most importantly, there are no malls or big-box shopping centers. When You have to get out of town, it is less than 2 hours to the Bozeman, Montana airport and about one hour to Butte. There are worse places to live and work.

If this sounds of interest to you and you are up to the challenge, please contact Dr. Rob Thomas at [log in to unmask]. See the official job announcement on higherEdJobs at the link listed below. We look forward to seeing your application soon. We hope to be reviewing applications in early May, but will keep the position open until filled. All the best...Rob Thomas
http://www.higheredjobs.com/details.cfm?JobCode=175881292
Assistant Professor of Hydrology and Surficial Process - HigherEdJobs
Jobs in higher education. Faculty and administrative positions at colleges and universities. Updated daily. Free to job seekers.

Robert C. Thomas
Professor of Geology / Regents' Professor
Environmental Sciences Department
University of Montana Western
Dillon, MT 59725
(406) 683-7615 (w)