Hi,

My co-authors and I wish to introduce our recently published book: Sustainable Development in a Developing Word: A Holistic Approach to a Multi-Dimensional Topic .  The book provides a holistic approach to understanding and measuring sustainable development and builds a bridge between the abstract world of economists and the practical real-life situations that we find in both the developed and the developing world.

The book is published in paperback and as an E-book and will be extremely useful for general readers, students and teachers in learning about sustainable development.  We also feel extremely honored that, apart from a very friendly foreword by Hafiz Mirza of UNCTAD,the book was introduced to the readers by Andrew Young, the former Mayor of Atlanta, GA, U.S. Congressman, and Ambassador to the U.N.

Below you will find Ambassador Andrew Young's introduction to our book and the Table of Content.  I hope that after reading this introduction and looking at the table of content you will not only want to have this book, but will also recommend this book to your colleagues, students and library.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN BUYING THIS BOOK PLEASE CLICK HERE<http://www.amazon.com/Sustainable-Development-Developing-World-Multi-Dimensional/dp/1494325195/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395420134&sr=8-1&keywords=sustainable+development+in+developing+countries>.

TO THE READER by Ambassador Andrew Young
I welcome this very motivating book as it addresses a highly important objective, i.e., to demonstrate that sustainable development, in all its perspectives, is about improving the well-being of mankind, particularly in eradicating poverty and injustice where it is needed the most, in the developing world. My own work in the American Civil Rights movement, as a member of the US Congress and as Mayor of Atlanta has always dealt with all types of injustice, including economic, and with bridging the gaps between developed societies and those stepping onto the world stage. One effort in this direction is a German American Foundation that I co-founded which focuses on building global cooperation. It is here, in the Wittenberg Center for Global Ethics, that I met one of the co-authors of the book, Roland Bardy, who is a fellow member of the Board. I agree with him and his co-authors that sustainable development is inextricably linked to economic, social and environmental policy, and should be an overriding goal in creating policy in developing countries.
In my opinion, this book will provide useful information to the many readers from business and academia who are interested in the subject. Many publications on this topic are overbearingly theoretical or right down trivial."Sustainable Development in the Developing World", with both its holistic approach and its well-chosen evidence, builds a bridge between the abstract world of economists and the practical real-life situations that we find in both the developed and the developing world. The book clearly shows that promoting sustainable development is not an end in itself, but the means to establish a fair societal structure, equitable economics and a just market. In my opinion, and as the authors say, the concept should be used as a corrective measure when governments and institutions set out to rectify deficiencies of the past, from restoring social order to creating equitable conditions for all members in their society and to reverting resource depletion.
With human well-being at the center of the interaction between the economic, the social, the institutional and the environmental perspectives of sustainability, the foremost undertaking of sustainable development analysis is to study how these perspectives interrelate - a systemic dimension.  Then, at the same level, there is the dimension of ethics. Dealing with the ethical dimension inherently leads to the necessity of forging the links between growth through globalization, sustainable development, moral principles and moral behavior. These dimensions must primarily be studied and enforced in the poorer countries of our world. Here, with fragile governments, a fragile social order, weak institutions and low levels of living standards, social sustainability becomes first priority, because in the developing world interactions between society, economic development, technology and nature are much more complex than in advanced economies. There is general agreement that the private sector remains one of the best-placed institutions to make a significant positive contribution: I have termed this "Public Purpose Capitalism", and there are many examples that prove how effectively it works.
I must congratulate the authors on what they exhibit about their fourth dimension, which is   measurement.  I concur with them that the effort put forward in the Western world on establishing physical indicators of ecological sustainability will have to be matched by similar endeavors in the field of social sustainability. I also applaud the authors' prudent selection of empirical evidence from the Sub-Saharan region. The examples that are chosen show that there are still many roadblocks in the way that hamper sustainable development in (Sub-Saharan) Africa, but they also emphasize that improvements are being made.

TABLE of CONTENTS

Acknowledgments

Foreword

Introduction

1.The Systemic Dimension
1 The four perspectives
2 Connecting the four perspectives through multi- stakeholder dialogues
4 A special case: Multi-stakeholder relations at greenfield-investments in developing countries

2.The Ethics Dimension
1 Introduction
2 Overcoming Development Traps
3 Equitability in a "just" market
4 Inclusive Growth
5 Ethical investments and collective action

3. The Growth Dimension
1 The prerequisites
2 The effects
3 Social Business and the Role of Social Entrepreneurs

4. The Measurement Dimension
1 Policy agendas
2 The underserved social perspective
3 Conjoining the developed and the developing world
4 Standalone indices versus composite indices
5 New evolvements

5. Empirical Evidence from Sub-Saharian Africa
1 The Track Record
2 The Stimuli
3 Strengthening the knowledge base
4 Some Caveats - and a Positive Outlook?

Conclusion